• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Haunted Island for sale

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
Anybody that wants to buy a haunted island can go to the auction in Italy. Its the most haunted place in the world and it even has an old mental hospital. Oooooooooh.
It could be a really awesome place for Halloween parties. :D
World's most haunted island for sale | www.ktvu.com

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I wouldn't mind visiting this place but I don't think I would want to buy it ghosts or not. I do wonder if it is haunted though because of its history. Wouldn't surprise me considering what went on there.

I found this link inside your article and it has some great pictures of the Island and inside the buildings.

Strange Geographies: The Happy, Haunted Island of Poveglia | Mental Floss

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
I've never heard of this place before. It would make a great location for a hotel. Ideally they should keep some of the structure, but if it was me I would floor the entire place and build it up again. I think the money they expect to get from it is just too much though. You can buy an island for a couple of million these days. They expect this island to sell for $841 million.

Elanor

Registered Member
It is definitely somewhere I would visit. It seems eerily beautiful and at the moment is probably quite peaceful. The article that Hilander posted the link to is really interesting, the place has quite a history. I can see why people would think it to be haunted, it must be very spooky at night time.

As for buying it, I could be tempted if I had a spare 841 million, plus the money needed to completely renovate and rebuild what is there. I am not sure that they are going to get that though, it seems a bit optimistic, although I could be proved wrong.

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
@ Hilander. Thanks! I totally did miss that pictures link.

And yeah I totally do believe there are cheaper and better islands to buy. But if it was my island then the first thing I would do is get a bulldozer then have the whole island disinfected and make my own country. Nobody would ever invade it. :D

wolfheart

Registered Member
It's a very interesting article and seems like a really cool place,the fact it has not been inhabited for fifty years intrigues me.

Places such as this,which have such a rich history and presence always fascinate me, from the use a q quarantine island to the insane hospital,the history is all contained on the island.

If there are mass grave pits on the island, they could hold massive potential to learn more about the disease, I would also be interested if they found any other so called vampires in them.

I do have a hard time thinking they get the asking price they want, but if they do all that rich history will be lost, the island will most likely end up being developed for the rich and famous, and the story of the island lost in time.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I have serious doubts that will get what they are expecting, that is a little much even for a haunted island.

I think the grave pits with all the plague victims in them will keep some from wanting it. They even shoved a rock in one of the victims mouth because they thought they might be a vampire. That was practiced a lot in those days.

wolfheart

Registered Member
I supposed you looked at it as simply a land deal with the promise of development the y could get a decent amount,but as you said if the island does have plague pits on it alot of buyers will be put off.

It would be interesting to find out if these pits actually do exist there,or if they have just become part of the legend.I would imagine that there has to be at least one mass grave somewhere on the island.

The thing for is if they do manage to sell it, have it redeveloped into a private place with multiple million pound housing will people be willing to buy them,or would the thought of living on an island that housed plague victims, the insane and is supposedly haunted put perspective buyers off.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Well in a link in the in article provided in the OP it showed pictures of these grave pits and said it had plague victims in it.

During the worst outbreaks, the islands were quickly overrun with the dead and dying, who were hastily shoveled into grave pits, and when those were full, burned. There are surely such grave pits on Poveglia, though their locations are unmarked and unknown. Local lore holds that the part of the island traditionally used for growing food held most of the bodies.

Strange Geographies: The Happy, Haunted Island of Poveglia | Mental Floss

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
It would make sense that the part of the island used for growing food holds the bodies as the decomposing bodies would have provided a lot of extra nutrients for the crops. I would have no problem buying this island.