• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Hatred of the Patriots

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
I never understood why there is so much hostility towards the Patriots. I mean there are other good teams out there, but it always seems like I get a lot of shit for being a Pats fan. Even from fans of teams that we have no rivalry with. I can understand the Jets, Steelers, Eagles etc... People still go on about spygate and Brady dropping the F-bomb and "throwing fits". I mean really? Other teams do this too... but it always seems like people focus on the Pats.

Why do you think this is?

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
People are just jealous about their success in the past decade or so, and nitpick even the small things to make them look less respectable. I don't hate them. In fact, I like to see them succeed. I do hate teams like the Steelers or the Cowboys, but that is a whole new discussion.

If your team is losing, you hate on those who win. Simple as that.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think overall it's probably jealousy but also there's a certain hatred for Bill Belichick as well because he comes off as an arrogant asshole sometimes.

If you ask me why I hate the Patriots its simple...the Championship they stole from us in 2002.

Konshentz

Konshentz
People have pretty much hit it right on the head... jealousy. The great teams always get a lot of hate because they are whipping up on everyone else's teams.

For a while I didn't care for them for that reason, but I got over it & now I actually enjoy seeing them win. Hell, I'd even throw them up there as my second favorite team. Mainly because of Jesus a.k.a. Brady and what he has done for my fantasy teams for the past 6-7 seasons. Haha.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
People hate the Patriots like people hate the Yankees, the Red Sox or any other team. Yes, there's more hatred for the Patriots then almost any other NFL team, but this is sports, you're not going to like every team out there.

Also, I agree with Millz, Belicheck comes off as an arrogant jackass. Also, the whole spygate thing upset a lot of fans.

Last edited:

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
People usually hate winners unless it's their favorite team. But I think there's a difference between wanting a team like the Pats or the Packers to lose simply because they were going undefeated and wanting a rival to lose.

I actually don't have a problem with any team being good unless they're trying to go undefeated. There's just something about that that bugs me.

Then there are teams that I will unconditionally want to fail. Not just fail like miss the playoffs, but fail like missing the playoffs, getting star player(s) hurt (preferably for the season), losing heartbreaking games, etc. As of now, those teams are the Eagles and the Miami Heat. It's nothing personal against the players themselves. Sports just brings out something in all of us.

BigBob

Registered Member
People love the underdogs until they start winning.

Tom Brady was the biggest underdog coming into the starting position. The Patriots were written off once Bledsoe went down and no one expected the greatest quarterback in NFL history to emerge from a 6th round draft pick. They don't like that he can do it with anyone, a supposed washed-up future Hall-of-Famer (Moss), a third-string receiver from the Dolphins (Welker), another supposed washed up receiver coming back for his second go (Branch) and those are just the big names from the last couple of years.

My uncle is one of those haters. He said Brady is a terrible quarterback and "just because he puts up the stats doesn't mean he's good'. No, only putting up stats doesn't make you good, winning the Super Bowl three times and making it four times does.

Unfortunately for all the people that hate on the Patriots for winning, unless they trade him, they may have the next Tom Brady in Ryan Mallet (the most NFL-ready quarterback coming into the draft).

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Also, I agree with Millz, Belicheck comes off as an arrogant jackass. Also, the whole spygate thing upset a lot of fans.
Which is funny since it's already been determined that the Pats got caught doing what a lot of teams have been doing in the past. The NFL just wanted to make an example of them. Yet it's still talked about like they're the first and only team to do it.

Also, I'm more confused about the Belichick hatred to be honest. I see a lot of people accusing him of not only being pompous but of being a total jerk and as a Pats fan I just laugh because the dude has no emotions. If you knew anything about him, you'd see that it's a common joke in New England that Belichick has no emotions whatsoever, the dude doesn't even smile. I've never been really sure where people get these ideas or what stories they've made up to convince themselves but he's hardly arrogant and he's hardly an asshole.

Understanding Patriot hate is easy. They're the NFL's only selfless team. They play as a true team with no parts being more respected or celebrated than the others and for some people, they hate that. A lot of fans are used to star players and big egos but it's never been how the Patriots run under Belichick and Kraft.

BigBob

Registered Member
I think you answered your own question Merc. That's why I believe people call him arrogant and an asshole. When someone doesn't show emotions, they're a cocky asshole because they think they're better then everyone else.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I think you answered your own question Merc. That's why I believe people call him arrogant and an asshole. When someone doesn't show emotions, they're a cocky asshole because they think they're better then everyone else.
Not to be rude, but how is that even remotely true?

If someone doesn't express themselves like a loudmouth like Rex, they're an asshole? How does that even work? It's logically false.