Hatred/Annoyance and General Dislike of Vegetarians/Vegans

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Merc, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Why do you think there is animosity towards vegetarians/vegans? I've seen a fair amount of it through school and there's still a lot of it out there. The stereotype is one that suggests vegetarians and vegans are elitist, self-serving, and whiny.

Where do you think this image came from?

This thread is not for people with "I don't dislike them, I have lots of veggie friends!" type of responses, FYI.

2. DinoFlintstone

DinoFlintstone "There can be only one!"

I think that a lot of people fear/hate discipline, and rather than accept that someone is disciplined enough not to eat meat, then they attack that person, with a deep-down hope that they will cave-in and be like everyone else so that the complainer feels he or she does not have anyone to compete with.
    There is also 'inherited hate.' There will be an era when people accuse and blame members of society [or in a the case of racists/nazi's they claim to hate 'animals/subhumans.] and Children will be brought-up shrouded by this hate, but they don't understand it. In turn, they too will pass-on this hate.
    I don't want the above to be too off-topic, so 'A lot of people grow-up hearing mocking and caricature stereotypes of vegetarians/vegans, so they continue to mock them, but they don't understand what they say.'

Wade8813 likes this.
  3. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

People hate vegetarians/vegans because of organizations such as PETA. Like any other group, it's the fanatics that ruin it for other people. I've had a run in with one myself. Not a pleasant situation, and I always involuntarily think of that fanatic person anytime I hear the word vegetarian or vegan.

4. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

I think that for some people it's defnitely what Anita said. I have a friend who is a vegan, and almost every last one of his status updates on facebook is about this vegan event, or don't eat meat for that reason, yadda yadda yadda. He's very in-your-face about it and I suppose he thinks he's doing his part to save the world, but it really does get annoying, even for an animal rights supporter such as myself.

For others, when they hear someone say "I'm a vegetarian" or "I'm a vegan", they take that as a judgment of their own personal choices. It's similar to the defensive attitude some parents assume when they hear about another family that has chosen home schooling - the feeling that their own lifestyle isn't good enough for the person who has chosen an alternative lifestyle.

5. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

I definitely think it's the "in-your-face" attitude. It might not even be a confrontational type but a more passive one like you mentioned Jeanie where the person constantly makes note to others of their eating habits. This stereotype seems to have latched onto a lot of vegetarians and vegans but it's unfortunate because you'll always meet people who fit into it.

6. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

The "in your face" stuff is the most obvious.

I think Dino brings up a couple good points - people often dislike anyone who succeeds where they fail. If someone has trouble just cutting back on the junk food in their diet, they're sometimes going to be annoyed by someone who succeeds in dieting how they want to. And people pick up annoyance at others from each other.

Another reason people get annoyed with them is that their diet can be hard to accommodate.

Also, sometimes their behavior doesn't entirely make sense. Like if they never eat meat for health reasons, but have no problem stuffing their face with candy or cookies.

DinoFlintstone likes this.
  7. Twitch

Twitch Registered Member

I think people have hatred towards vegetarians/vegans because they try to force their beliefs on people. Those are the people that say they are vegetarians/vegans, however. The ones that don't talk about it or given a bad rap because of the extremists who try to force certain beliefs on people, like some religions do.

8. ExpectantlyIronic

ExpectantlyIronic e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑

Warranted dislike of individual vegetarians, organizations thereof, or the actions thereof aside; I would say it's because there's a strong moral case for vegetarianism. Whether they intend to or not, vegetarians call the ways of folks who eat meat into question, and many people tend to respond to such perceived challenges aggressively.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
  9. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Yeah that's kind of how I feel. While there are some people who do it for health/diet reasons, most vegans/vegetarians seem to do it because they honestly think it's wrong to kill and eat animals. More often than not they come across as "how dare you" when they find out you're not one of them, as if you might as well be a cannibal. Sometimes I think that might offend them less actually.

Granted, not all, but a lot are like that.

DinoFlintstone likes this.
  10. Emmana

Emmana Registered Member

I am vegan because this body cannot convert animal protein in usable protein. Went off meats, chicken and so on in my early 20's. Am 59 now and do not take any animal proteins. I use vegetable amino acids instead. Having said the above i still prepare meat dishes for the husband.

Animal protein includes all dairy products too.

Not all vegans are "in your face".

Often these are the young ones who will not keep their opinions to themselves.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009