Haslem's next big assignment: Dirk

S

scottmcgrady

MIAMI – An uncommonly large number of reporters have gathered around Heat forward Udonis Haslem the last two days.

"People don't want to talk about me," Haslem said Monday. "They're just talking to me because I have to guard Dirk" Nowitzki.

Haslem guarded 7-foot center Nenad Krstic of New Jersey in the Eastern Conference semifinals and Detroit's 6-11 Rasheed Wallace in the finals. Krstic averaged 18.0 points against Indiana in the first round but only 10.8 against the Heat. Wallace went from averaging 15.1 points a game in the regular season to 10.5 against Miami.

"Udonis is used to playing against big guys," Heat coach Pat Riley said. "The first two rounds may have benefited us because he was playing against length.

"Now, Dirk is a different deal because he puts it on the floor and drives it. He's a whole different package, but at least Udonis has familiarity with the size."

Haslem made sure not to pull a Tim Thomas and say anything that might inspire Nowitzki. Not even when he was asked about defending someone who draws inspiration from David Hasselhoff.

"I like Knight Rider, too," Haslem said. "Michael Knight and all that. I didn't know he had a music video. That was one thing I didn't know. Not much of a Baywatch fan, but I loved Knight Rider."

Riley said Nowitzki will be tough to guard one-on-one.

"Dirk is a 7-footer who has a guard-like mind and is probably

the best pure shooter in the NBA," Riley said. "He's got a flawless release. He reminds me a lot of Larry Bird, but he's got more size.

"He's got an unblockable shot because he puts his elbow right above his forehead and the ball is cocked back there. He's a very, very difficult guy to handle."

At 6-8, Haslem will be giving away four inches to Nowitzki.

"Udonis is a competitor and has great technique," Riley said. "He doesn't have the length, even though he has very strong hands. He's a very, very good defensive player. Whe- ther he can stop Dirk Nowitzki on his own? No one has, so he's probably going to need a lot of help."

Haslem called guarding Nowitzki one of the biggest challenges of his three-year NBA career.

"Dirk's a great player," he said. "He's having a great year. He probably should have been MVP. I'm just going to try to make things as hard on him as I possibly can."
Do you think Haslem can limit/hold Nowitzki? I can't wait to see how he performs in Game 1. It's going to be tough for both players but i think Dirk will over power Haslem because of his outside shot yet if Nowitzki can't shoot too well in game 1 from outside and Haslem can stop him from inside, they should be able to limit him. Then they have to be careful of Howard
Read it all here

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
You can't contain someone like Dirk you let him get is points and you try to shut everyone else down. But on the other hand Dirk has to stop Haslem, he can shoot that 15 footer or he can post up, he can give you 5-10 rebound and 8-15 points in a game. But there's no doubt that Dirk can be stop.

S

scottmcgrady

Dirk can be stopped, if he is having a bad shooting day, force him to shoot. Dirk is one of the greats of the game today, he can do everything, hes amazing but i think he could be stopped if they really tried and he really wanted it. Haslem can be good, but he is always good on rebounds, just not shooting. Some days he goes cold yet he can still be a threat. I can't wait to watch game one and see what happens.

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
Haslem may not be able to completely guard Dirk, but he has to be annoying like Bowen and get in his face and force tough shots, or else Dirk will back you up for a layup or that jumper he always likes.

M

Midnight

I think Haslem has to be prepared for Dirk to put the ball on the floor and drive. Haslem needs to get into Dirk's head like Oxymoron said and force him to make tough shots.

Dirk Nowitzki is responsible for Haslem on the other hand. He needs to keep Udonis off the boards by boxing him out. Haslem thrives off of getting rebounds and second chance points. Like some people have already mentioned, Haslem can cause major defensive headaches if his jumper is going in.

As important Nowitzki is to be guarded, Haslem needs to be paid attention to as well.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Sorry but there was only one game in this years playoffs that Dirk didnt really have a good game and that was when he only scored 11 points, other then that, he's been unstoppable, and I really doubt that Haslem can stop him, even if he gets aggresive with him. Dirk has some height over him, and he can just shoot over him.

A

air jordan

Dirk is a good player and so is Haslem but haslem really wants this victory so i think he will stick him reall good in this series

S

scottmcgrady

Haslem did a good job limiting Dirk Nowitzki last night. When Haslem left, he nailed two three's so Haslem did a good job with bothering him and getting in his face, Terry was the difference last night.

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
yeah. Dirk was not allowed to have a great night yesterday. Almost every shot he took was challenged. Luckily other players picked up the slack.

S

samchi12

I don't think Dirk Nowitzki can be stopped by Haslem. They have to double team him or force him to do crazy shots. Shaq should be able to stop him but they dont want him in foul trouble. Maybe Alonzo Mourning will occasionally.