• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Has The Act To Stop Racism Gone Too Far?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pugz

Ms. Malone
V.I.P.
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/07032006/140/baa-nursery-rhyme-slaughtered.html

This article is about how somebody has re-written Baa baa black sheep AGAIN!

The well loved nursery rhyme was re-written the first time and named Baa baa WHITE sheep (which, by the way, is about GOATS!). So it leads me to ask this...have they gone too far to stop racism? First we have to call black boards chalk boards, which isn't a big deal. But changing a little kiddies rhyme is just wrong.

And what really ticks me off about this article, is that the egg (the one stupid enough to sit on a wall) falls and LIVES! I mean come on, it's an egg! It's suppose to break!

Opinions anyone? Besides the fact that I've gone nuts!

Blur

iPimp
WOW...Baa baa RAINBOW SHEEP?! Ok. People are fucking dumb.

Think about this, when you were kids and first heard those rhymes, did you EVER make those connections? No. All this trying to censor everything only makes kids TOTALLY aware of the very crap people are trying to keep them from knowing about. Why else do you think that when we were going through high school that drugs, sex, and the other bases of adult culture came about so quickly? Yeah. Society is moronic

Pugz

Ms. Malone
V.I.P.
The song naver had anything to do with being racist in the first place. The term 'black sheep' meant something or someone was the odd one out. Fair enough, when you read that you might have instantly thought 'race' but it could also mean personality or eye colour. Say if all your brother/sisters have blue eyes and you're the only one with brown or whatever then you would be classed as the 'black sheep'.

S

sixstringedstress

Does anyone agree with me when I say that racism is on its way out? I think the only think keeping racism alive is bumper stickers that say "eracism" because it paints this picture that there is still a great urgency to destory racism. MLK's dream is just about realized, we all have friends of all different races. Men and women of all different races earn diverse degrees of wages and hold almost an unlimited array of jobs, thanks to the internet anyone can own a business. The "Eracism" groups want to keep the idea of racism around to maintain their status quo, that is to say if there was no more racism, they wouldn't have any more bumper stickers to make.

A

Anonym0uz Bitch

sixstringedstress said:
Does anyone agree with me when I say that racism is on its way out? I think the only think keeping racism alive is bumper stickers that say "eracism" because it paints this picture that there is still a great urgency to destory racism. MLK's dream is just about realized, we all have friends of all different races. Men and women of all different races earn diverse degrees of wages and hold almost an unlimited array of jobs, thanks to the internet anyone can own a business. The "Eracism" groups want to keep the idea of racism around to maintain their status quo, that is to say if there was no more racism, they wouldn't have any more bumper stickers to make.
It would be called being prejudice. There is no such thing as "race," there is only the human race and thats it. The term race to coin various skin colors was an invention of man, thus there is really no such thing as race. People just take a different culture and ethnicites customs and tradations and considering them to be a part of their "race." Basically, "race" was invented by ignorant white men in order to find some way to feel superior over other people.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
sixstringedstress said:
Sorry, but I'm going to have to disagree. Prejudice against skin color is just something that will never die. Humans naturally categorize each other to make things easier, thus we will always have it. Not to mention, you'd have to censor any comedian that's ever been racial (Dave Chapelles Career = Dead) which would be plain stupid. Blatant racial hatred is definitely down though.

Blur

iPimp
I don't agree with you Merc, I don't think they catagorize to make things easier, I think they do it because of an undying superiority complex that is naturally a part of humanity.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
[Blur said:
]
I don't agree with you Merc, I don't think they catagorize to make things easier, I think they do it because of an undying superiority complex that is naturally a part of humanity.
Quite possibly. It could even be a bit of both. People admire those in high places and thus, try to imitate them. But I think on a deeper level, it's to categorize. While some people may do it to feel better about themselves, I believe it also a function of the human brain to sort things out and make things easier to work out.

Blur

iPimp
Or they just natuarlly feel differently about those different than themselves? It's all about fitting in and being with your kind and not wanting to accept foreigners into your group, outsiders into your clique, etc. This principal is demonstrated on all sorts of scales, whether it be in school social groups to the very core of racism and prejudice.

merob

Boom!
I agree, officially changing an old nursery rhyme is dumb at this point, but I'm sure the concept is valid. Children's stories weren't always as innocent as they appear. When broken down, Baba black sheep may have been satire. Even on the surface, the title alone hints the tale shares an effect similar the doll test, used during brown vs. BOE. If this were something written today, I wouldn't doubt it's innocence, but this is a story told during American past times. Personally I'm too old for nursery rhymes, and don't care, but the article clearly stated others were offended. It'd make sense to slightly alter the title/tale to accommodate those folks.
Baba Rainbow sheep sounds more appealing to children any way.
Do I think racism is taken to far? Yes, but not because of BaBaBlack. I've taken a note of the activist on the raise. They often pick fights, searching for issues which are hardly problematic. Rather then directing focus to all forms of injustice, people like Al Sharpton claim themselves "black representatives" and direct attention towards synical nonsence. Famous speaker Kalid Muhammad, paraded in front of Johnny Cockrine's(sp?) office, because he believed Johnny was a sellout. Bill Cosby suggested minorities stop using race to blame their issues, and work on creating better conditions for themselves/. People Protested against Bill - they were idiots.
sixstringedstress said:
Does anyone agree with me when I say that racism is on its way out? I think the only think keeping racism alive is bumper stickers that say "racism" because it paints this picture that there is still a great urgency to destroy racism. MLK's dream is just about realized, we all have friends of all different races. Men and women of all different races earn diverse degrees of wages and hold almost an unlimited array of jobs, thanks to the internet anyone can own a business. The "Eracism" groups want to keep the idea of racism around to maintain their status quo, that is to say if there was no more racism, they wouldn't have any more bumper stickers to make.
In some ways I agree. They're still many racist out there. I hear the KKK is making a come back (no joke). However in future, i don't think skin tone will be an issue. Ultimately they'll be a new form of prejudice. I don't know if many of you are familiar with the movie Gattaca. It was mainly about gene sequencing, but a major part of the film involved DNA testing. Most characters in the movie depended on DNA rather then ability/appearance as far as judgment was concerned. The director did a good job, pointing out most people weren't able to analyse others based on appearence, because they were so use to judging each other through DNA samples.
Now recently in paper, I've read about an idea, to implant micro organisms in finger tips, which can contain credit information, date of birth, name, etc. This got me to thinking, maybe in the future people wont judge others by the color of their skin. that type of ignorance is probably growing out of style and isn't accepted in most of society... but it's hard to believe segregation will disappear altogether. It may not reappear through something advanced as DNA testing or sequencing, but I'm sure it'll remain present in some form.

Status
Not open for further replies.