Has everyone done their taxes yet?

Discussion in 'Money & Investing' started by Mirage, Apr 12, 2006.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

This is for all of the US citizens here... everybody else is off the hook! :D

Well, it's almost the tax deadline again. I just did all of mine yesterday and it's a great feeling to be done.

I went and had an accountant file them, and I have to say it was worth every penny. This year I am keeping track of everything on Quicken, so I may be able to attempt it on my own next year, but who knows. I might just have somebody else do it again. It's worth something to know everything was done right. :)

2. leopard22

leopard22 Registered Member

Well, we're not really off the hook if we're not US citizens if we made too much money off Americans :) We are supposed to file as non-resident, non-citizens anyway and just hope that our own country has a tax treaty so you don't wind up paying double the tax (in the US and in your home country). Kinda sucks, doesn't it? Luckily, I've got a tax treaty provision, but if I get 1099s or have other income from US sources, I better file in the US too. It's going to really bite when I finally get to retire and collect Social Security, like it's going to still be around then, but I can dream, can't I? I did live in the US and work there long enough to qualify for Social Security, but the paperwork might not even be worth what I'll get :-o

I still use software to prepare my own business taxes myself - even did the corporation taxes when I was involved in one without an accountant. But it was a simple thing as long as you don't have employees. It does make you feel better to have an accountant do it, no doubt, but I found that as long as I kept track of everything during the year, I could even do depreciation of equipment, etc. with the tax software that is available. I kind of felt, well, if they question it, the software (a reputable brand) can be my fallback - the software made me do it :lol: Never had any problems though ... knock on wood ...

3. moneymaker123

moneymaker123 New Member

I just think its easier just to have an account do it.:D

4. Melos

Melos Registered Member

Well, this has been left for a while, but I'm starting to think about filing my self-employment taxes once again at the start of the new year. I've been super busy getting everything squared away in Quickbooks for myself.

5. katharina

katharina Registered Member

I might be in a very small minority, but I like getting taxes out of the
    way just as soon as is humanly possible. I've been filing online for both
    federal and state taxes. What a load off that is!