• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Movies Has a film ever made you feel depressed?

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Have you ever watched a film that has affected you in such a way that you actually felt depressed? And I don't mean just sad for a little bit while watching the actual film, but really feeling down on yourself for days, or even weeks after watching.

There has been a few films like this for me, in fact exactly three films that I can remember affecting me in such a way. (There are probably more, but these three really stuck in my memory)

Schindler's List (1993): This film is obviously not a light subject matter at all, and I don't know if there is anyone who could watch it and not feel something. There was one scene in this film that literally sent chills down my spine. And not those good chills you get when watching something beautiful or exciting, but chills or true terror, I could actually feel it. For days after I couldn't stop thinking about this one.

Million Dollar Baby (2004): I obviously don't want to go into spoilers here, but this is another one that had me feeling quite low for weeks. This film just kept piling it on, sad thing after sad thing after sad thing. I kept waiting and hoping that something, anything good would happen to the main character... but alas.

Changeling (2008): Anytime I hear one of those "Angelina Jolie can't act" people I feel like slapping them across the face with this DVD. I've liked her in a few films, but this is by far her most powerful and haunting performance. This film made me feel sick, disgusted, horrified, furious, terribly sad and even amazed all at once. Not a pleasant film at all, but very well made and outstanding performances. This is another one that I couldn't get out of my mind for a long time. Some films just stick with you.

Tucker

Lion Rampant
I don't know that a movie's ever affected me for days, but here are few with potential:

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

The Boy in The Striped Pajamas

Heavenly Creatures

Requiem for a Dream

Rory O'Shea Was Here (Inside I'm Dancing)

The Girl in the Cafe

Dabs

Registered Member
2 movies have made an impact on me to where I haven't watched them since and I even own one on DVD. The first movie was a simple little thing starring Kevin Spacey and Helen Hunt, called Pay It Forward. A little boy, played by Joel Osment tries to do good deeds as instructed by his teacher, who tells him to pay it forward, and if tells the little boy if every person pays it forward, it will affect the whole world. Such a great movie, till the damn ending. I'm sure I'm not going to spoil it because most everyone has probably seen it, but the little boy gets stabbed and dies at the end, and his Mother and the town are holding a candlelight service at the end of the movie. It made me so infuriated with the way it ended, I wanted to sit down and write the director/writer, it definitely was not the ending I expected. But I do own it on DVD.
The second movie I watched one time, I do not own it and I won't ever watch it again. It made me sad, and it left me with an uneasy feeling and bothered me tremendously. It was a movie starring MacCauley Culkin, called The Good Son. He is the son of a very nice lady and her husband and they had a little girl prior to Culkin, who had died unexpectedly. Then the lady's sister dies, so Culkin (the nephew) comes to live with this lady and her husband who have a son about Culkin's age. Everything seems on the up and up, till the movie progresses and Culkin's evil side comes out. He does all this bad shit and the family thinks it's the nephew doing it, because they think he is troubled after losing his parents in a car wreck, which is why he came to live with these folks, when all along, it's Culkin. Come to find out, he drowned his baby sister in the bath tub because he was jealous. Anyway, at the end of the movie, the lady figures out exactly what her son was doing, and she found the 2 boys on a high cliff over-looking the waters. They struggled and both boys fell over the cliff but the lady grabbed both boys, one in each hand. OMG, I was sitting on the edge of my seat. The nephew was pleading with his Aunt to save him. The son was saying "please Mom, help me, I love you, I'm your son". The lady knew all the bad her son had done, and had tried blaming her nephew. And she knew she could only pull one boy to safety. Thru tears, she had to let one boy go, falling to his death. She let go of her son. It left me speechless. I won't watch it ever again. Not sure I could have done the same thing.

Last edited:

fractal

Eye see what you did ther
Never saw a movie that made me depressed, but some had sad endings.

Anime:
Grave of the fireflies. Considered to be one of the most heart wrenching movies in anime. A movie about war. Most online reviewers claim they cried. I'm sure many people will find it depressing.

Impact

V.I.P.
I don't know that a movie's ever affected me for days, but here are few with potential:

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

The Boy in The Striped Pajamas

Heavenly Creatures

Requiem for a Dream

Rory O'Shea Was Here (Inside I'm Dancing)

The Girl in the Cafe
Requiem for a Dream for me too. Although, it's only a fleeting feeling, never lasts that long.

Dabs

Registered Member
Requiem for a Dream for me too. Although, it's only a fleeting feeling, never lasts that long.

Well I have never seen this Requiem For A Dream, and since 2 people have named it so far, it's prolly one I will stay away from.

Daemonic

Registered Member
The virgin suicides, I haven't watched that in a very long time but watch it if I'm really depressed.

Iris

rainbow 11!
The closest thing for me is V for Vendetta. I cried the entire time while watching it. I don't really get depressed while watching movies, it is most likely to happen with books that I read.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
Blue Valentine. It was overwhelmingly sad and depressing. The hopelessness of it stayed with me for days. I saw it in the theater with a couple of friends, one of whom I was not comfortably crying in front of, so I had to stifle it, when what I really wanted to do was bawl my eyes out.

shelgarr

Registered Member
Yes! Brokeback Mountain -such a great story and expertly told, but the ending was brutal. Bridges of Madison County- beautifully acted and tender love story that ended with sadness. Passion of the Christ - so torturous that I shut my eyes and held my ears shut through most of it. A Beautiful Mind - just wow.

I'm sure there are more........