Harvard Professor from Cambridge

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Twitch, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Twitch

Twitch Registered Member

A Harvard professor from Cambridge came home from being away, when he couldn't get into his home. He and his driver tried to forcibly enter the home, and that's when a neighbor called the police. They got there and took the professor into custody because of a confrontation he had with a police officer. He was yelling about racism as they took him away.

President Obama was talked about the incident, "The Cambridge Police Department acted stupidly."

The man accused of being a racist's claim to fame is saving a pro basketball player back in the 90's. He gave him CPR. He was black.

Opinion time. This professor is way out of line. I'd be happy if the cops showed up so fast, it shows that they can get there in time if there was an actual break-in. And the whole racism thing? Ridiculous. He would have done the same if it were a white man, I'm sure of it.

Officer says he'll 'never apologize' for Harvard professor arrest - CNN.com

2. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag

This is the police report: Henry Louis Gates, Jr. Police Report - July 23, 2009

The reason this is an issue is because the guy arrested was some sort of friend with Obama and Obama called the cops actions stupidly. Perhaps an academic acquaintance, I'm not sure.

Read the police report and decide if they officer was out of line. I think the answer is obvious unless of course the officer is lying. But, according to the report, there were witnesses, so the truth will come out.

3. Smelnick

Smelnick Creeping On You V.I.P.

I think that Obama is wrong in saying that the Cambridge police acted stupidly. The cop was merely doing his job, responding to a call about a possible break in. All the professor had to do was provide some ID, proving that he lived there, and everything would have been fine. Instead, the professor over reacted, perhaps out of stress from returning home and having to bust in his door? Either way, his reaction deserved reprimand in my opinion. To go off like that on a cop that is merely doing his job is uncalled for.

4. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

I hate this country more each day.

We're such hypocrites because we want to eliminate racism yet we actively engage in racism in several policies and allow nutcases like this guy to call racism over nothing. If you believe the police report, the guy was asking for an arrest. He was being uncooperative and beligerant. His anger should have been with his neighbor who apparently could not identify him. I wonder if all those cops were black, if he'd still be calling racism.

Probably not.

Then why does Obama have to comment on it? Oh yeah, I forget, he's the "emperor of black people" now that he's the president (+ rep if you get the reference). Obama has no say in this, doesn't this guy have more important things to worry about than some guy trying to capitalize on white guilt?

5. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Seems like when Obama said it, he thought the arrest was related to the supposed break in (and it's stupid to continue arrest after proof of identity was provided). He didn't know the full story that it was the behavior especially in the latter part that led to the arrest.

To be honest, if I weren't having a good day (chain of events like travel stress, being locked out, etc.) facing the police who thinks I'm tresspassing in my own home might make me snap. It's probably worse for him since he already feels victimised simply by virtue of being black in America (because of its history).

That said, the cops aren't guilty of racism. If there's anyone he should be annoyed at, it should be his neighbor. :D

6. viLky

viLky ykLiv

I believe Obama shouldn't have commented on it, and the reporters shouldn't have even asked him. Doesn't he have better questions to answer rather than this solo event in a few people's lives? Now, I'm curious what other questions the reporters ask him on a daily basic. Hmm...

I'm on board the non-racist boat all the way until the professor was taken down to the station. Right then, I was thinking it was just harassment rather than racism. I had my run in with the law once and they had this power trip. I don't believe it was racism in this case, just power.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
  7. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag

The professor seems to have the attitude: I am a HARVARD professor AND I am friends with the President. You are just a cop that went to community college. That's just the attitude I'd expect from someone that immediately calls the police chief and then repeats over and over "You don't know who you are messing with".
    ------

The most fascinating thing has been Obama's response for a few days now, he has tried and failed to apologize. He reminds of of Fonzi off Happy Days who could never say the word wrong. Anyone remember that?

This is the latest of about 3 attempted apologizes:
    "Because this has been ratcheting up and I obviously helped to contribute ratcheting it up, I wanted to make clear in my choice of words I think I unfortunately gave an impression that I was maligning the Cambridge Police Department or Sgt. Crowley specifically," Obama said. "And I could have calibrated those words differently."
    -I gave an impression...could have calibrated those words differently....erhh... I think he's saying we all misinterpreted his words and he's sorry for that. You know, he's sorry that he forgot that we are so freaking stupid and that he has to talk down to us. :lol:

This is a freak'n meltdown for the Obama administration. He needs to just admit he screwed up and get on with it. Americans are a forgiving bunch.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
  8. micfranklin

micfranklin Eviscerator

Eh I have too many mixed feelings about this but I know if it were me I'd be pissed if I were arrested for trying to get into my own house.

Gates should, however take this time to fix his door.

9. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

The interesting thing is there was a black police officer who arrived on the scene as back up and completely agrees with the actions taken by the arresting officer. The behavior by Gates is disgusting, but is the kind of attitude I'd expect from an elitist such as him.

Once again Obama showed how bad he is without a teleprompter. Instead of just saying this is a local issue handled by local cops and I don't have information to opine on what happened, he put his foot in his mouth. And again, along with his elitist attitude, he can't just man up and apologize. Sad, really.

10. Smelnick

Smelnick Creeping On You V.I.P.

Obama's response reminds me of Prime Minister Chretien here in Canada quite a few years back. He was horrible at public speeches, as smart as he was. Royal Canadian Air Farce, a political satire comedy, was constantly poking fun at different ways that he'd put his foot in his mouth. Regardless, Chretien came by it innocently enough due to an actual speech impediment. Obama won his votes by being a great public speeches, but this situation makes it pretty apparent that other people wrote his speeches lol.