Harry Reid's verbal gaffe

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Reid's Obama comments could worsen Democrats' woes - Taiwan News Online

Reid's remarks were reported in the book "Game Change," by Time magazine's Mark Halperin and New York magazine's John Heilemann. They report that Reid "was wowed by Obama's oratorical gifts and believed that the country was ready to embrace a black presidential candidate, especially one such as Obama _ a 'light-skinned' African American 'with no Negro dialect, unless he wanted to have one,' as he later put it privately."
Let me start off by saying I really don't think Harry Reid is a racist or holds any racist views. The problem I have is this. There is a definite double standard and a showing of hypocrisy on the left.

A few years ago Senator Trent Lott made a comment about Strom Thurmond on Thurmund's birthday, saying we wouldn't have had the problems we had if Thurmond, a segregationist, been elected president. Lott was torn apart not only by the press, but by Congressional Democrats. Now Reid makes comments about "negro dialect" and him being "light-skinned". I'm just curious, where is the indignation they showed towards Lott? Why hasn't the media demanded Reid's resignation like they did for Lott?

So is it a double standard? Is it a case of hypocrisy?

Last edited:

Tucker

Lion Rampant
It's a case of a guy praising Obama clumsily vs. a guy saying he wished we had been graced with a racist president. That's more different than not.

Speaking of double standards, raise your hand if you were as up in arms over an unrepentant Strom Thurmond as you were over a contrite Donald Byrd.

We play games.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I should say I don't think Lott is a racist either. First off it was his birthday, he was being nice to the old man. And secondly, he never said he wished there had been segregation. He was trying to say something nice and it came out clumsily, just like Reid did.

I have to wonder what the reaction would have been had Rush Limbaugh said the exact same thing.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Oh, would this be the same Rush Limbaugh who played a song titled "Barack the Magic Negro" on his nationally broadcast radio show?
It was a rhetorical question, we ALL know how he's been treated by some of the words he's used, some of it justified some not. Yet Harry Reid can say "negro dialect" and people make excuses for him.

Tucker

Lion Rampant
Reid has a record on race relations and civil rights that speaks for itself. Thurmond, Lott, Limbaugh - shameful. The important thing to ask is this: whose smile hides the hatred? You're fooling yourself with the most desperate of wishful thinking if you think it's Harry Reid's.

Excuse the xenophobic Lott, smear the benevolent Reid - we play games.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Again, you're misunderstanding me, I'm not excusing Lott, Thurmond or Limbaugh, nor am I smearing Reid.

Of course we play games, we like to think the Democratic party is the friend of the minorities and spin everything that way.

The problem I have is this, Limbaugh was excorciated by a sports journalist (and I use that term loosely) when he wanted to buy the Rams, for things he didn't even say. Shaprton and Jackson called for Lott's removal, and so did Obama actually, for what he said. Lott had to apologize to Jackson (which I find ridiculous but besides the point) yet Reid doesn't have to.

Whataver Reid has done or not done for race relations is irrelevant. What he said is worse than what Lott said, plane and simple. I would just like to know why the same Democrats including Obama himself haven't called for Reid's removal and why hasn't Sharpton and Jackson asked him to apologize? (I'm guessing they will at some point to save face but their immediate reaction, or non-reaction really, speaks volumes).

Last edited:

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
Let me start off by saying I really don't think Harry Reid is a racist or holds any racist views.
really? Because to me what Reid said was clearly racist. I could be easily convinced that what Clinton was quoted as saying was not racist(Obama woulda been serving us coffee 4 years ago), but Reid's comments seemed off the chart to me.

So is it a double standard? Is it a case of hypocrisy?
The teaparty organizers and speakers and several prominent conservatives such as Palin are constantly hit with the race card even though there is zero evidence of such. So, in that regard, I see hypocrisy.

However, this Reid thing has been everywhere in the news I follow today so I'd have to give the news media a thumbs up for covering it.