Movies Hardest Genre of Book to Make a Movie of?

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by Smelnick, Jul 20, 2009.

?

Hardest Genre of Book to Make a movie of

1. Fantasy

100.0%
  2. Scifi

33.3%
  3. Horror

33.3%
  4. Suspence/Thriller

33.3%
  5. Mystery

33.3%
  6. Drama/Romance

33.3%
  7. Non-Fiction

33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Smelnick

Smelnick Creeping On You V.I.P.

This thread and poll spawned from a discussion I had with SuiGeneris on YIM. We were talking about the Harry Potter movies, and how the books have always been better than the movies (In my opinion). I figured that it's mostly because Fantasy is one of the hardest genres to turn from a book into a movie.

The success of a fantasy series is the ability of the reader to imagine the scenery, characters and action based on the descriptions the author gives. It's highly doubtful that two readers would imagine the settings and imagery the same.

That's where book to film movies of the fantasy genre tend to fail. Many readers go to the movie, each expecting it to look somewhat how they imagined, and naturally the producers, actors and directors imagined it differently. So even if they capture the story well, they lose that awe effect that the visuals can sometimes give simply because the viewers get an initial disappointment of it not looking how they expected.

I think the easiest genre to do is suspense and thriller. Using music and good camera angles, it's easy to recreate the suspenseful feeling. In fact, it tends to be even more suspenceful in movie form usually.

2. browneyes106

browneyes106 Registered Member

Hard to say I think non-fiction could be the hardest genre because filmmakers and screenwriters would have to drop some stuff out of the book to make a movie.

3. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

I pick sci-fiction, like real quality SF movie. I'm still waiting for a director/producer to take on Asimov's Foundation series. Maybe one of the difficulties, aside from showing us the future and scientific details of the book (special effects and techie accuracy), is that it's more cerebral than an action packed product - and to have more mass appeal they may end up massacring the books in the movie version.

4. MAgnum9987

MAgnum9987 Do What Thou Wilt

I agree With Smelly, fantasy is Extremely Difficult to pull off on Screen. Take Eragon. Shitty movie. It had few to none Details from the book. Half of the Story Was Skipped over, And the traits of Characters, literally Spelled out in the book, where not there. People who Didn't read the book Liked the movie, but they Didn't know What they Where missing

5. Italiano

Italiano Film Elitist

First I'd like to point out the LORD OF THE RINGS trilogy seems to do a pretty decent job adapting the book to the screen visually with it's effective cinematography and production design.

Now I'm going to flat out disagree on the fact that Fantasy is the hardest genre of movie to adapt. Your argument is that because the nature Fantasy has many elements, settings, aspects, people, situations, creatures and so on that are not of this world all we can do is do our best to conjure an image in our own head based off of the visual description the book gives us. Therefore when those fantastical elements are translated onto the big screen many of them are not 100% what we expected because other people are responsible for their visual adaptation... Duh.

It's like disliking the way a restaurant made your dinner because they made it differently from the way your mommy made it for you. Filmmakers are going to do adapt all the necessary visual commodities in the best way they know and believe possible (we can only hope). These days CGI can make any fantasy we have come to life on screen and is used more and more in film (which pisses me off actually).

Aside from that, do you realize how hard it is to adapt any book to script and screen loyally, faithfully and by conventional standards? Most scripts adapted from books are rewritten at least 10 times by different writers (when the effort is put into it at least) just to perfect the story. Then there's assuring the rest of the film's visual and production aspects all follow some dedication to the style and and description from the book.

ANY genre of ANY book is just as difficult from that of fantasy or drama or comedy or horror and so forth. I don't believe one can call into question whether one genre of literature is more difficult than the other on the grounds of turning it into a motion picture. Each genre has their own conventional standards and qualities that need to be taken into careful consideration and attention applicable in both literature and filmmaking. It's apples and oranges.

6. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

I'm going to side with Italiano on this as well.

All books are hard to make into films without angering fans or balancing the right amount of original content and stuff pulled from the book. Most people bounce right to fantasy because they're thinking money but it's not the truth. In all honesty, if we're going to base it on production values, I'd say sci-fi is the hardest.