Hardcover or Paperback ??

Do you prefer Hardcover or Paperback ??

I always go with hardcover as the book(s) will always stay in perfect condition during and after reading.

Impact

Registered Member
V.I.P.
I prefer how hardcovers look when they are sitting on a shelf, but the thicker they get, the more impractical they are to read because they are just so big and inflexible. So, I prefer paperbacks for larger books as they are just easier.

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
If I can I'll get a hardcover book because I don't like it when a book I'm reading flexes and bends, it's just annoying to me.

On top of that, hardcover books don't get damaged as easily if you're moving it around constantly. They also tend to look nicer.

That's a done deal if you ask me, I understand the difference in cost, but putting that aside, I think that hardcover is better.

I'm not too fussed either way, but pretty much all of my books are paperback. I think I prefer them that way, unless it's a small sized book. Just more practical for reading (the hardcover for smaller books, that is).

Sigurd

Internet Dig Dug
I like paperback books because I typically read books that get rather large and are just a pain to read hardcover. That and the fact that paperback is a bit lighter than hardcover and is somewhat easy to put in a bag.

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
I like paperback books because I typically read books that get rather large and are just a pain to read hardcover. That and the fact that paperback is a bit lighter than hardcover and is somewhat easy to put in a bag.
That's why I like hardcover... strange.

Larger books always tend to bend unless there's some sort of support for them suck as placing it on a table. I like to read sitting sideways on the couch or a chair of some sort. The book will always bend on me and the covers will get all bent up if it's big and in paperback.

I also find that hardcovers are easier to put in a backpack because the pages don't get all dog eared in the backpack because the book isn't flexing and folding as you walk along.

I don't care about the weight at all until it gets so heavy it's uncomfortable to hold, which I haven't run into very often.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Definitely hardcover over paperback. I just believe it's easier to maintain and read, there's less chance of bending the pages with a hardcover. But in the long run if the book is interesting it doesn't matter what type it is.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I don't really have a preference. Whatever is cheaper, I guess, so usually paperback. I like how they're more flexible, but yeah, it doesn't make a difference to me.