• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Hard To Believe, No Telephones

Dabs

Registered Member
A small called Iowa City in California just NOW got land line telephones.
Seems the town, which is 138 years old, never really thought about keeping up with the times...the population of the town is only 200...and so far, 54 people out of the 200 signed up for telephone service.
Why bother getting now them huh?? :confused:

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
What do they do for the internet?

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
I guess it doesn't matter if it's only 200 people. that's 1/5 the size of my high school graduating class. They probably see each other all the time. Hell, I bet newspapers are still effective in that town.

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
I guess it doesn't matter if it's only 200 people. that's 1/5 the size of my high school graduating class. They probably see each other all the time. Hell, I bet newspapers are still effective in that town.
Gonna echo what oxyMORON said...small towns really don't need telecommunications services. That place is so small that the grocery store clerk is there "Facebook". No joke. Everybody knows what is going on. So why use a phone, unless you have family out of town.

I doubt that town has newspapers yet. They still use newsletters. :lol:

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
Well by now you'd have to imagine that most of them would have cell phones. Even if they didn't need telephones to communicate amongst themselves, you'd think they might want them for calling people outside the town. Though, I guess the Amish get on okay without being plugged into modern society, so who knows, right?

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
What EI said, they have cellphones if they want to make international calls or call someone who doesn't live there. Those who live there are like one big family. It's not hard to live without internet/telephone. Humanity didn't have telephones when they first started to live on Earth. So it's not a big loss.

Dabs

Registered Member
What do they do for the internet?

From what I gather, this little town had nothing!
And the telephones that got hooked up, aren't even cordless, they are the old fashioned kind with the kinky coiled up cord *grrr*
Some of the folks were fussing the phone lines were even put in, saying they liked their little town, just the way it was.
So, out of the town of 200.....the 54 or so that had phones put in, will most likely be the only ones to have them put in.

Dabs

Registered Member
I would love to live in that town. I bet it's quiet and very cosy.
Ohmigosh...not me!!
Most of the people I saw on the news, were real 'countrified'...for lack of a better word :lol:
It probably is quiet.....and cozy is not quite the word I would use.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
Ohmigosh...not me!!
Most of the people I saw on the news, were real 'countrified'...for lack of a better word :lol:
It probably is quiet.....and cozy is not quite the word I would use.
I would live there too, at least for a bit. I wouldn't live there for the rest of my life. Bet it is rather nice there.