Hard Drive Question.

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
I don't know the answer nor do I know how to find the answer to this.

I have a SATA 5400 RPM HDD and an EIDE 7200 RPM HDD.

I'm planning to install an OS (Win XP32, I know not impressive) on one of these and I don't know which one is faster.

Obviously SATA is the newer kind of drive the the RPMs are lower than the EIDE I also have.

Any help would be great.

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
Well I installed the 250GB WD and found out that I used to have it installed, it has an old copy of windows xp home on its first partition then lots of games (Steam, Warcraft III, etc. on the other partition).

I'll probably just wipe the drive and install windows XP Pro on there, then figure out how to get this 1GB PCI video card working (I'm assuming it'll be better than a 256mb AGP card I have.)

Note that without actually testing hard drives, the speed is know really absolutely known... that's my experience. The RPM, buffers and technology on the board are all factors that can make the drive work better or worse...

But the bigger the driver the faster it reads data from the plates. So the 250Gb should definitively work faster.

As for not using SATA... the EIDE are quite expensive now in comparison. And the inside technology is the same except for the software and data transfer handling (i.e. the drive itself is the exact same things!)