• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Happy Holidays or Merry Christmas?

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
There seems to be some debate over which is more "politically correct". Which do you think it should be?

BigBob

Registered Member
Politically correct, if the United States wants to please everyone, it should be Happy Holidays.

..but in my opinion, Merry Christmas is what most people should say. The Atheists on the forum will think other ways, but you don't have to believe in Christ to say Merry Christmas.

Stab-o-Matic5000

Cutting Edge in Murder
I personally think that stores etc. should probably say Happy Holidays as to not to try and offend anyone. That's mainly from a practical standpoint, as businesses they don't want to offend any customers since they want repeat business.

As far as I'm concerned, however, the modern Christmas is so far removed from religion as to be practically a secular holiday. Atheists celebrate it. So in my eyes at least, it's not offensive to people of other religions. People of other religions may have differing viewpoints, however.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
Happy Holidays

As diverse as America keeps getting, there's no reason not to say it. Since Christmas was originally a pagan holiday, I don't see why it would be offensive to religious people since religion was added to it in the first place.

Last edited:

snowflake

Registered Member
I think it should be Happy Holidays, after all it is a holiday. People don't celebrate the birth of christ now. They celebrate Santa. So why CHRISTmas....

So it Happy Holidays from me xxx

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't know about you but on Halloween I like to tell people "Happy Orange Day" to avoid the "Hallows Eve" HIGHLY offensive reference... :rolleyes: Of course I'm kidding but seriously, I say just go with the flow.

By calling it Christmas you aren't endorsing a religion or belief. I'm sure everybody can agree that it can mean something different to everybody.

When grade school kids have to sing "We with you a happy holiday" or "We wish you a merry xmas" then politically correctness has gone WAY too far. And yes, that was a news story last year around this time. Apparently in some schools students are discouraged from saying the word "Christmas" (and teachers are straight up told not to) but it's ok for kids to run around screaming every other offensive word in the book in passing periods.

As I said to somebody the other day, no matter what holiday you are talking about you're always going to find somebody who disagrees with it in some way or another. How retarded would it look if December 25th was changed in the calendar to say "Holiday". I mean why not rename every holiday to "Holiday" to make sure all our bases are covered.

Maybe I should add "Christmas" to the offensive word filter here at GF.

Last edited:

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I say Merry Christmas when I'm referring to Christmas... however I will say have "holiday season" when referring to this month. To me holiday season is plural enough to cover the short period of time between Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years. Seems like we cram alot of big holidays in that short span, so it makes sense to say Holiday season in that sense. However, I rarely say "Happy Holidays". On the rare occasion I do its in reference of more than one holiday (usually Christmas & New Years).

my take on Making Christmas Politically correct is, if you dont like it or are offended by it. Dont recognize it, simple as that. If you're offended by the thought of Christmas than chances are its not a holiday meant for you. I dont recognize Yam Kipper or Hannukah as they do not apply to me, and to be honest I'm not offended by hearing them. If someone told me Happy Hannukah I'd probably smile and say it back even though it doesnt apply to me. I mean what kind of Selfish Self Absorbed Arrogant Contemtible Person do you have to be in order to be that dedicated in taking the joy out of a single day to please just yourself.

Merry Christmas!

BigBob

Registered Member
I say Merry Christmas when I'm referring to Christmas... however I will say have "holiday season" when referring to this month. To me holiday season is plural enough to cover the short period of time between Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years. Seems like we cram alot of big holidays in that short span, so it makes sense to say Holiday season in that sense. However, I rarely say "Happy Holidays". On the rare occasion I do its in reference of more than one holiday (usually Christmas & New Years).

my take on Making Christmas Politically correct is, if you dont like it or are offended by it. Dont recognize it, simple as that. If you're offended by the thought of Christmas than chances are its not a holiday meant for you. I dont recognize Yam Kipper or Hannukah as they do not apply to me, and to be honest I'm not offended by hearing them. If someone told me Happy Hannukah I'd probably smile and say it back even though it doesnt apply to me. I mean what kind of Selfish Self Absorbed Arrogant Contemtible Person do you have to be in order to be that dedicated in taking the joy out of a single day to please just yourself.

Merry Christmas!
I agree 100% with this entire statement. What are you going to do?
"Happy Hannukah!"
"I don't celebrate Hannukah." -walk away-

Rebeccaaa

yellow 4!
Personally, either will do.
But all I really need to say is that I hate that this matters in the first place. :rolleyes:

They are just WORDS with GOOD intentions, I don't get why people need to even think about which one they should use just to please people. If someone gets offended by 'merry christmas' then.. ok.. I'm gunna stop talking now :lol:

Last edited:

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
I gave a kid $5 bucks today at Subway because he said "Have a Merry Christmas". I about shit my pants and said "You have been the first person to say Christmas and not holiday to me". He was like "Thats what I say, that's what holiday is coming up right"? I said "Ya, I'm tired of all the political correctness crap". He agreed, we smiled, I think he gave me a discount, and I let him have my change.

It's Merry Christmas people.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Millz Birthdays 1
CaptainObvious Birthdays 7
pro2A Politics & Law 11
H Bathroom Wall 2
yooperchick General Discussion 3