Happy Father's Day!

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Father's Day festival is considered extremely important as it help acknowledge the contribution of fathers to individual families and to societies as large. Observance of Father's Day provide children an opportunity to express love and respect for their fathers. The sentiment goes a long way in strengthening father-child relationship and consequently in the emotional development of a child.

I think fathers are relatively ignored. A lot of parenting success/failures are attributed to mothers as if they're the only ones in charge of parenting. In school, my son would bring home yearly some Mother's Day gift that they did as a class project. But he never brought a Father's day card or gift. Hmm...

So here's to the fathers in GF and to the member's fathers. Happy Father's Day and may your place in the family be positively recognised today by your children and other loved ones, if already not being done on a regular basis. :)

Impact

Registered Member
V.I.P.
I guess it's only a European thing for today. It's not fathers day here, at least I hope it isn't because I didn't get anything for mine.

Anyway, Happy Fathers Day to all the dad's on GF!

Bliss

Sally Twit
It's Father's Day here and I am going over to my parents for dinner. My mum is cooking and the whole family will be over - including my sister who came down from Scotland. He should have a good day.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
:hmm: Hmm, it seems that other countries don't celebrate it on the third Sunday of June like here, or in US, UK:

Austria: Second Sunday in the month of June
Australia: First Sunday in the month of September
New Zealand: First Sunday in the month of September
Belgium: St Joseph's Day (March 19), and the second Sunday in June "Secular"
Portugal: St. Joseph's Day - March 19
Spain: St. Joseph's Day - March 19
Brazil: Second Sunday in the month of August
Bulgaria: June 20
Denmark: June 5, same day as Constitution Day
Germany: on Ascension Day (40 days after Easter)
Republic of Korea: May 8, Parents' Day
Lithuania: First Sunday in June
Republic of China (Taiwan): August 8
Scandinavia: Second Sunday in the month of November
Finland: Second Sunday in the month of November
Norway: Second Sunday in the month of November
Sweden: Second Sunday in the month of November
Thailand: December 5 (Birthday of King Bhumibol Adulyadej)

Uhm, so advance or belated? :lol:

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
My dad is in Las Vegas so we won't be celebrating Father's day till he comes back. We will be celebrating my birthday and Father's Day when my parents come back next Saturday.

Dragon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
My father passed away but we sent my stepfather a card. My mom was making a big deal about it. She was wondering if I sent the card out and I told her I was busy with work and told her my younger brother may have already sent it out. My uncle on my mom's side has alway been a father to us since my dad passed away so I will be giving him something nice for father's day. He doesn't have any kids but at least he got us.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
My father passed away but we sent my stepfather a card. My mom was making a big deal about it. She was wondering if I sent the card out and I told her I was busy with work and told her my younger brother may have already sent it out. My uncle on my mom's side has alway been a father to us since my dad passed away so I will be giving him something nice for father's day. He doesn't have any kids but at least he got us.

I think that's sweet of you to think of your uncle. I know of people who don't have (or cannot have) kids and this type of holidays make them feel more left out than ever. It's a nice time to appreciate what they do especially if they represent a parenting figure of some sort despite not being the official parent.

Funny thing I've noticed about Father's Day compared to Mother's Day; there are far MORE ads in the newspaper for Mother's Day than Father's Day. When I was looking at them this past week I barely found 2 pages in this ad that contained about 20 pages. I sort of understand why on one hard, but feel bad on the other. At least it's not the other way around. Heh.

Happy Father's Day all you GF dads!

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Funny thing I've noticed about Father's Day compared to Mother's Day; there are far MORE ads in the newspaper for Mother's Day than Father's Day. When I was looking at them this past week I barely found 2 pages in this ad that contained about 20 pages. I sort of understand why on one hard, but feel bad on the other. At least it's not the other way around. Heh.

Happy Father's Day all you GF dads!

I also had to remind more people about Father's Day. During Mother's Day, it's hard to miss it. People carrying flowers, stores have extravagant sales, the commercials related to it....
------
Another indication is that mother's day threads get way more replies than father's day threads. :hah:

Last edited:

Nixola

Boom Boom Pow!
I gave my father fudge and a mug that said "best plumber" or something to that effect.
I do think think that father's day is more overlooked then mother's day. People don't make such a fuss over it as they do for mother's day.
My dad visits his dad on fathers day along with my mum. My mum's dad passed away, so she puts flowers on his grave.