• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Happy 50th, The Great One

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Gretzky turns 50 today.

One of the greatest athletes in any sport

Top 50 Moments (if you have the time or inclination)

Wayne Gretzky : 50 Great Ones

Like Dimaggio's hitting streak , his record of 50 goals in 39 games will likely never be beaten. Then there are his 60 other records.

My favourite Gretzky moment is still the '87 Canada Cup.

Favourite stat: you could take away all his career goals and he'd still be #1 in scoring.

Happy Birthday, Wayne.

We can use this thread to discuss about our favorite moments of Wayne Gretzky. No one was better to ever play the game then he was in my opinion, even though he believe Howe and Orr were better players.

Not only was he a great player but he was tremendous person, very humble.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
It's unfortunate but the first thing I think of when I think of Wayne Gretzky is when he turned over the puck in double overtime of Game 7 of the 2nd round against the Red Wings when he was on the Blues that lead to the single worst moment in my hockey watching life when Yzerman scored on Jon Casey. I can't help that, that's my first thought because I was so into hockey at the time that when that happened I pretty much stopped watching for a little bit I was so crushed. I hate Yzerman more for that whole thing but I always blame Gretzky haha

And then he said he'd stay with the Blues and he left for New York.

But hey, he's the best ever so hopefully other people can come up with some happy thoughts haha

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I understand your frustration, but it's a team game and Steve Yzerman scored one of the best goals of all-time to win that game.

Every time I come across one of Gretzky's numbers I have to do a double-take to make sure I'm reading it right. Like I said in my OP, Gretzky could have never scored a goal in his career and would still be the all-time scoring leader. Mind-boggling.

With that particular stat as a foundation, I would argue he dominated his sport more than any other athlete dominated theirs. The gap between #1 and #2 in hockey is wider than in any other sport.

(And at age 50 he could probably be a solid second-liner for the Islanders)

Oh yeah, and his daughter grew up to be a nice looking gal.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Millz Birthdays 1
CaptainObvious Birthdays 7
Doc Birthdays 7
Doc Birthdays 9
dDave Bathroom Wall 2