Hannity 2012?

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
This is mostly for the conservatives. Just wondering what your thoughts are on Hannity running in 2012 that's been floated. yeah, I know, the next election is a looooong way off and no I'm not eagerly awaiting the day Obama leaves. Just a question.

I think there's nobody on the radar that is exciting enough for me to campaign, donate or vote for. Hannity's a fresh face, nice guy, outside the machine, well informed, good ideas..... I'd personally be very excited if he threw his hat in the ring. He just has so much to lose, I doubt he would.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Nice guy? No, but then again we only see his TV self.

Outside the machine? He works for FOX, not a chance in hell he can be called "outside the machine". He works for a news company that changes the political affiliation labels on convicted republicans, he's part of the machine.

Well-informed? Definitely not.

I would pray to the high heavens that the republicans can come up with someone else or it would seem that they are once again settling for very little. They'd stand a better chance with Palin again and that's saying something.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Based on the work he does for his freedom concerts, raising money for the family of vets, I'd say he's a nice guy. I also think he's pretty well informed, he's in tune with what the framers of the country intended when they drafted the Constitution.

That being said I don't know what kind of politician he would be since he's never been one. He's certainly in favor of cutting taxes which I agree with, but will he be the kind of politician that is in favor of certain measures BECAUSE it's considered a RIGHT wing issue or will he listen to opposing views and do what's best for the country? Will he have a "I'll do what I want regardless of how people feel" attitude like Obama and Bush both have/had?

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
That's definitely another reason, this whole "doing it because it falls in line with my political party" thing. It's the reason I hate most conservatives and liberals or any other political extreme.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
by outside the machine, I was really referring to the political machine. Hannity's not a guy that wakes up every morning and thinks - what do I need to do today to further my goal of being president? I don't think anyway.

Its really early, but the guys hustling for the position thus far: Pawlenty, Christ, Huckabee, Romney..... just come across as Republican hacks.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
by outside the machine, I was really referring to the political machine. Hannity's not a guy that wakes up every morning and thinks - what do I need to do today to further my goal of being president? I don't think anyway.

Its really early, but the guys hustling for the position thus far: Pawlenty, Christ, Huckabee, Romney..... just come across as Republican hacks.
That's the right's problem is that they have no candidate that really stands out. I thought McCain was a great choice but then they fucked it up with Palin. They need someone who stands out and actually sounds like a good choice.

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
I don't see Hannity as having a chance. Liberals hate him, and independents mainly consider him an overly-partisan blowhard. If I had to put money down right now, I'd put it on Huckabee. The dude seems likable and reasonable, and his loss in the last primary largely owed to McCain's having a recognizable name while managing to avoid any heavy attack by the other candidates until it was too late. If the last Republican primary had anything to teach us, it's that pundits don't hold as much sway as we tend to think they do, since conventional wisdom had it that McCain was hated by the Republican base who such commentators were supposed to reflect or shape the opinions of.

Last edited:

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
That's the problem I see also. I don't see him getting much bipartisan support, he's not the kind of guy who's going to get a whole lot of votes from the left like say Ronald Reagan did. Some in the middle may vote for him but it won't be enough, I don't think.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I don't see Hannity as having a chance. Liberals hate him, and independents mainly consider him an overly-partisan blowhard. If I had to put money down right now, I'd put it on Huckabee. The dude seems likable and reasonable, and his loss in the last primary largely owed to McCain's having a recognizable name while managing to avoid any heavy attack by the other candidates until it was too late. If the last Republican primary had anything to teach us, it's that pundits don't hold as much sway as we tend to think they do, since conventional wisdom had it that McCain was hated by the Republican base who such commentators were supposed to reflect or shape the opinions of.
Huck's likable, but he's no conservative. I remember he wanted some big program to make us all lose weight, quit smoking and eat better. My contention is (and I think I can back this up with polling data) that Americans are overwhelmingly conservative and the Republican party is dead because of the low population of conservatives that run for national office. The Republican numbers crashed even further when they put Steele in charge.

I can never figure out why conservatives would represent a large chunk of society but receive such a small amount of representation. Part of the reason may be that conservatives tend to gravitate towards business the way liberals gravitate toward academia. Financially, its hard to pull a guy out of a business to be a governor making $100K. Conservatives also know that the liberal media will be relentless.

But, I understand your points about Hanity being not well received among independents. I rarely see him on tv, but he always comes off to me as someone that I'd like regardless if I agreed with him or not. Maybe that's just me.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't think he'd have a chance. He's too polarizing. Now, would I like to see him win? Probably. He has a level head and is a lot more rational than most of the people we'll probably end up seeing on the ballot but he won't win it with independent voters.

I'm pulling for Mitt Romney or Mike Huckabee right now. I'd like to see either of them run with either Michael Steele or Bobby Jindal for VP.