Hanging From a Metal Bar

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Mirage, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

I'm currently training for an intense obstacle course that's located up in Denver. I have no clue how to describe this place but basically they have all sorts of extreme challenges. Anyway, this course consists of about 40 feet of monkey bars, poles, rings, and ropes and is suspended about 30 feet in the air. You have to climb up a rope ladder just to get to the thing. (You do this thing while harnessed to a rope that's also hanging up there).

I am told that only one in a thousand has made it all the way across the thing. At the end you have to climb up a PVC pipe and ring a bell. Then you are done.

Anyway, I've been doing a ton of pullups to help train for this but one thing I'm doing to help is timing how long I can hang from a standard pullup bar. This is due to the fact that I have tried this course once and fell about a 4th of the way in. I was not happy about that and that's why I plan to go back.

Right now I can hang from a bar for 1 minute and 45 seconds. This includes changing grips and moving around on the bar as necessary. The only rule is as soon as my feet touch the ground I stop the time.

So, next time you have access to a pull up bar, try and see how long you can hang for. It's actually quite challenging. If you move too much you'll kill your fingers and end up slipping.

2. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

That sounds awesome, dude. I love obstacle course. I do pull ups (though I probably can't do nearly as many as I would need to do to get far on the course, and I actually train on what's called a hangboard. It's used for rock climbing for strengthening your hands and fingers, and you can either just hang on the different grips, or do pull ups on them. I'll have to see how long I can hang.

3. Mirage

Is it comfortable to do pullups on? I just have a metal bar. I have gloves I can use if I want but since they don't allow gloves on this course (since it makes it way easier) I'm trying to train mostly without gloves. My hands look like they've been run through a paper shredder right about now. So many callouses. :lol:

4. Major

The holds are pretty grippy, but can be rough on your hands. But that's kind of the point since you need strong, tough hands to rock climb. The main holds I use for the pull ups are fairly comfortable, but there are some on there that are painful to hold onto, and some that are impossible to even try without ripping your tendons in your fingers. Gotta be hardcore and build up to those.

I have this same one (except mine is white and blue) and have it mounted above a doorway in the basement.

[​IMG]

That one and two finger stuff I can't do anymore. Used to be able to do two finger pull ups like that guy is doing back when I rock climbed. I use the holds on the very top for my pull ups usually. There's room to put your fingers behind it so you can grip it almost like a bar.
    ------
    Also, I just made it 1 minute 51 seconds hanging onto there. I could go a lot longer if I got my chalk out. My hands get too slippery. I would never be able to do it for long on a metal bar unless it had rubber grips on it or something.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  5. Mirage

Oh I see what you mean. Yeah that's intense. I've tried some finger hangs (on bars) and it's not something I'd want to have to do over a few thousand feet of mountains.

The closest to "cliff hanger" type hanging I've done is one arm bar hangs but I can only get about 30 seconds max doing that.

6. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

I hate doing those things because I always end up pinching the skin on the palms of my hands. I dunno if I'm doing something wrong, or what, but I hate it and I'm bad at it.

7. Mirage

Yeah on a metal bar it's different because your hands pinch up like Wade was saying.

I don't think there is a "right" way to do it. I ran into that same problem actually. If you don't change grips you're hands will kill by about a minute and a half and you won't be able to change grips then because your hands already hurt so much.

I have been doing this with some epic music playing in the background. I find a 2:00 piece and then hit play on it right when I start. That way I can focus on something else besides the pain.

8. Major

I think a bar would make it easier as long as your hands don't slide off. With my hangboard I have to use mostly finger strength to hold on, while with a bar you're holding on with much more of your hand.

9. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

I sometimes did pull ups in the Army during basic training, and had lots of problems with my hands slipping off and with the bar pinching my skin (in part because I was sliding a bit, I believe).