Handing out your hard earned money.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Smelnick, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Smelnick

Smelnick Creeping On You V.I.P.

I'm going to tell you a story. One day, me and Pretzel were walking down the street, in downtown, and a couple of big burly guys approach us and have this to say "Me and my buddies here were hoping to go down to the pub and get a couple drinks, but we're a bit short on cash. As it stands we can get enough for 3 of the 4 of us. Would you happen to have change to spare? We take cash, cheque, visa, mastercard, american express" It struck me as being pretty humourous. Very polite bums, it's what I like to see. I ended up only having a couple nickels to give them, but they thanked me graciously and we continued on our way. This other time, I was walking downtown, and a bum stopped me. He asked if I had any change to spare. At the time, I was financially disabled as well, and so I didn't have any money in my pockets at all, so I said sorry, I don't. He got all uppety, and started cursing at me, calling me greedy and shit like that. So when I got furthur down the street, and remembered about the few quarters I had in my bag, I decided not to go back and give them to him. I hate rude beggars

So what about yourselves? Any cool bum experiences? Do you give money to beggars/homeless people? If so, do they need to meet certain criteria? Are running into beggars a common experience for you?

2. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

I don't really run into bums on the street. It's not a regular occurrence in the area that I live in. There are a lot of people who collect money, such as the local firemen, salvation army, or some organization sending things to our troops.

If I have spare change in my pockets, I'll give that over. I hardly ever carry around cash though.

3. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

There are three expressway exit ramps at which the same "homeless" people camp out with their "please help" signs. I never give them money because something about it completely rubs me the wrong way, which is very unlike me. Normally I'm a very charitable person, but this method smacks of guilting people into donating.

Sometimes I'll give money to panhandlers on the street, but not often. I just go by gut instinct to decide whether to give anything to them

4. Xeilo

Xeilo Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

I don't tend to give them money, I just don't like the whole aspect of begging for it.

5. whateverdude_09

whateverdude_09 Registered Member

one time I was in DC and there was this bum screaming at himself and just kicking his ass, right in the mall (the field in front of the capitol building and the Washington monument, why it's called the mall i have no clue)

6. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

It depends whether I have money to spare. When I do, I have certain criteria like the manner I was approached. I won't give to those who ask rudely. There are also places when I know some people ask for your help but they're not really homeless. It's more a scam. They're usually in the trains that move within the Paris region (RERs). I also tend to give to people who try to do other things like open the door for you (if they're waiting by the door of the grocery store), play an instrument, offer you newspapers (these are free papers that is mostly focused on the issues of homeless people), etc.

7. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

I would have said, "Wait, hang on I have something, hold out your hand" and then pissed on his hands. He may be homeless but that doesn't mean people better off than him owe him anything. It means we can help them but it doesn't require anything of us.

8. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

One time I was walking downtown Montreal with a couple of friends, and this bum comes up to me and ask me and my buddies if we have the time. No of us had it, two seconds later he's like do you have any change? We said no and he kept walking.

The funniest one Ive seen is this Bum was loaded, and he was in a small bus terminal, someone gave him 5$ and he passed out, fell on the ground with the five dollars still in his hand, it was so funny.

9. Nightsurfer

Nightsurfer ~Lucky 13 strikes again~

I do not give out any money. If they are claiming that they need the money for food I will go and get them some food and give that to them but never any money.

One time a begger asked me for spare change to get something to eat so I gave him my lunch the guy threw it at me and demanded money, so i picked up my lunch and went on my way. Left the guy screaming at me and went on my way to the park to eat my lunch. Well on the way back the same guy had the nerve to ask me for money again. I told him that if my lunch was too good for him so was my money and walked on.

10. Shwa

Shwa Gay As Fuck V.I.P. Lifetime

Iris and Barb should know what I'm talking about if they've ever been to Baltimore after a baseball, football or any evening. There are homeless people just cowering the streets, I don't mind giving them money once in a while because its the nice thing to do. But one time, a homeless lady gave me an excuse that she had to make a phone call, so I gave her the spare change I had.

Well, my friends and I walked around and came to the came area again and she gave me the same excuse....I was kinda annoyed and just told her, "You already said that" and kept on walking.

~Shwa