Xbox 360 Halo:Reach - Official Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Major, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

Reach is a prequel to Halo:Combat Evolved and is coming out later this year. Apparently you play as other Spartans and not Master Chief. There isn't much information available about the gameplay yet except for a few things released within the past week or two.

Halo: Reach First Details - Xbox 360 story - at IGN

I'm hoping the multiplayer plays more like Halo:CE than 2 or 3. Bringing health packs back is a good start. The designated marksman rifle sounds like it's replacing the battle rifle from the previous two games. I like that it's a single shot, medium-long range weapon instead of the three shot burst of the BR. Hopefully it will be at most a four shot kill weapon like the BR, if not more powerful. I've heard rumors of the CE pistol coming back. I seriously doubt it though.

The needle rifle sounds lame. Hopefully that and the regular needler are toned down from Halo 3.

These "armor abilities" worry me. Seems like something that will ruin the multiplayer the same way the equipment in Halo 3 did.

2. Swiftstrike

Swiftstrike Registered Member

That is what concerns me too. Sounds like a "perk system" from CoD.

Equipment was fluidly put in place. You are the only Halo player I know who complained about equipment. Some people complain about regens being inconsistent. Most people complained about broken equipment items but they were quickly removed because they lacked utility (Flare, Radar Jammer, Trip Mine). I like the equipment. I felt that they are useful and not unbalanced or overpowered. It was a unique change that didnt alter the gameplay.

Confirmded guns/weapons are:

• Needler
    • Assault Rifle
    • DMR
    • Needle Rifle
    • Plasma Pistol
    • Sword
    • Plasma Rifle
    • Sniper Rifle
    • Pistol/Magnum
    • Frag Grenade
    • Plasma Grenade
    • Rocket Launcher
    Confirmed removals

• Brute Shot
    • Spiker
    • Spike Grenade
    • Flame Grenade
    • Hammer
    • All Equipment
    Possible removals (Not confirms but alluded to that these guns are gone for good)

• Battle Rifle
    • Carbine
    • Spartan Laser

3. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

I think the equipment only serve to bailout players who are losing fights and it helped narrow the talent gap between good players and great players.

I forgot to mention this in my first post, but I hope the plasma rifle is like it was in CE with the freeze effect. It was a good weapon in the first game. In the second game it was only useful with dual-wielding, and it was totally useless in the third game.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
    Chaos likes this.
  4. Smelnick

Smelnick Creeping On You V.I.P.

This is what halo: reach is haha. I've seen it mentioned here and there before. I'm curious to try it of course. It's always neat to see a new game in a series of games I like. Why do you think that the equipment ruined H3 echoes? I like the equipment, it brings in new strategies sometimes if used properly. It'll be interesting to see what these armor abilities do.

5. Chaos

Chaos Epic Gamer V.I.P. Lifetime

If it's similar to the novel then I would be interested. I would like to see a tad more of the backstory in it though. The novel Fall of Reach was the first, and explains the beginning of the Spartan's history.

I'm hoping the original Spartans are in it too, and that they're not just mute playable characters with no background.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
    Major likes this.
  6. Swiftstrike

Swiftstrike Registered Member

They said its nothing like the novel. You do have a team of 6 spartans though.

Only 1 is a Spartan II (from the Chief's class), the rest are Spartan IIIs.

7. Chaos

Chaos Epic Gamer V.I.P. Lifetime

Well, that's kinda lame. It fits with the timeline though - the Spartan III's are introduced in The Ghosts of Onyx. They're not even a fraction as badass as the Spartan II's though. :shake:

8. Twitch

Twitch Registered Member

This game looks like it could be pretty sweet. I'll mostly like get it, maybe see some gameplay first.

9. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

I'm glad the hammer is gone, it was such a lame weapon.

I just hope there's a bit more production value in this one and I am kind of excited that they may actually attempt to add a bit more depth to the multiplayer.

10. Smelnick

Smelnick Creeping On You V.I.P.

I was happy with the depth in the other ones =P All I ask is that I can run around killing the enemy. What more do you need in a multiplayer?