• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Xbox Brand Halo Reach Beta Discussion

Swiftstrike

Registered Member
They aren't making it into CoD, but more accessible. It just happens to be that CoD is more accessible than Halo has been.

More people play Halo 3 than CoD in terms of 360 only players.

I say its pretty accessible.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
They aren't making it into CoD, but more accessible. It just happens to be that CoD is more accessible than Halo has been.
More accessible how? Halo has always been an extremely popular franchise. There is no reason to make it anymore like CoD than it was before (which was not at all).

Swiftstrike

Registered Member
More accessible how? Halo has always been an extremely popular franchise. There is no reason to make it anymore like CoD than it was before (which was not at all).

Exactly my point.

By the way the fans are torching this game on their forums. I don't think they anticipated such feedback.

I don't think they will make significant core changes before the release but you can bet they are going to overhaul several elements of the game.

Ideally, I would like to see the elimination of the bloom of the reticule.

The last time they complete changes to the game was Halo 2. They scrapped several campaign levels and design features and started from square one after they released their demo to E3. They didnt like how the campaign levels played out or the direction they were going. They realized they they could not push the original xbox any further graphically and not run into severe lag issues (the lighting in the E3 demo and many of their advertisements were not using the halo engine for the xbox).

I doubt they will make many changes that will delay the release date. If they did I would be very surprised.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
I see that you guys played some grab bag last night. You guys suck! lol

You made me play the slayer arena when I was there last night, and then you play my favorite play list while I'm gone!

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
Ideally, I would like to see the elimination of the bloom of the reticule.
One of the things I don't get is the elimination of that. Why get rid of it, it works, and signifies the decrease in accuracy after each consecutive shot. Why get rid of it.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
I don't understand what the purpose of it is. If you were actually shooting a gun, if you were inaccurate the first couple of shots, it doesn't change the sights on your gun....

wtf?

that makes no sense to me as to why someone would think to add that.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
They added that, but they can just as easily take it away. Its really not the final copy. Regardless, its still a good amount of fun. The generator defense mode is my new favorite. Sniping has never been so much fun.

Swiftstrike

Registered Member
One of the things I don't get is the elimination of that. Why get rid of it, it works, and signifies the decrease in accuracy after each consecutive shot. Why get rid of it.
It's not very "Halo-like" with the inclusion of that.

One of the reasons I liked Halo over other FPS is that it is a precision-based game. The reticule size didnt change their was recoil but hell you are a fucking spartan. You can control the recoil and keep steady aim and jump. In this game is seems they are trying to make it a bit more realistic with the reticule size changing.

There is no "random element" that can change scenarios and outcomes of battles. The better or smarter player wins.

Gears of War has a random element to it (the chainsaw and weapons are completely inconsistent but they intended that), so does CoD (the perk system and class system allows you to change your character), none of the Halo games did.

The bloom and armor abilities all add a sense of randomness and chaos to a battle that can dramatically change outcomes in fights. You engage the enemy shoot first and then he jetpacks away...or your bloom gets large and though you think you are aiming at him you aren't actually hitting him.

I can't tell you how many times I lost fights due to the bloom getting larger. Sometimes it seems like a crapshoot when you get in fights.

I would be OK with them balancing and including the armor abilities. But I would like to see the reticule bloom eliminated or significantly reduced.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I agree with Swift. And it's not that I didn't have fun in the few games that I played. I did. It just didn't feel like Halo. I don't want a new shooter that is a cross between Halo and Call of Duty. I want to play Halo.

Swiftstrike

Registered Member
After playing the Beta for a week. I have drawn a few conclusions.

Timing your shots is really important shooting quickly will get you killed.

So staying calm while engaged in a fight and pacing your shots will get you kills. I knew that but I really didnt start playing that way until after several days of playing.

Bungie released a list of things they will be adjusting but they did emphasize that this game is not Halo 3 so some things weren't going to change.

Probably it means the bloom will stay though they will adjust it.

They are changing the melee system, adjusting the grenade blast radius, armor lock will be looked at, making the hud darker (people are claiming they can't see the reticule) and a few other changes.

After playing the beta for awhile I enjoy the change of pace and once you get the timing down on shots the bloom is not much of a factor. However, I still don't like and a lot of other things about the armor abilities in this game. Also I am not playing against challenging players nor good ones. The only reason I have been losing games is because I get even worse teammates. I am not all for the current ranking or matchmaking system.

I am having fun while playing this game after some frustrations. But I am concerned that they are making their game easier for bad players.