• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Xbox Brand Halo Reach Beta Discussion

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
What kind of game type is Invasion? I don't think I played that at all last night.

I have to admit, I love it, and have more of a good time playing this than I did playing H3. I'll probably be toggling between the invincible and camo capabilities (and scout when I forget to change it)...I don't really see myself using the jetpac option. That just looks like a big target, to me.

I wish I could remember the name of the game type we played last night with the arbiter...but that was my favorite.

I didn't get to try out many different guns yet, but I really like the new pistol.

My only complaints are that the aiming reticule is way too big. I can't really tell whether I'm getting a head shot or not unless I zoom in. And I don't like the team colors for the arbiter game types. I can't tell much of a color difference, and have to look at the names to determine whether they are on the enemy team or not.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I played three games last night. Got into a game right away and then played two more with the same people. The server got stuck trying to load the 4th game, and there was no way to cancel or back out or anything, so I turned my console off.

First game was Team Crazy King on Boneyard, or maybe it was Powerhouse. It was actually a pretty fun game even though I was the only person on my team who got any hill time. The map has a similar look as High Ground in Halo 3. Seems like an ok map.

Second game was Stockpile on Sword Base. I think this gametype is kind of lame, but again, the map seems ok. Sort of reminds me of Boarding Action from Halo 1.

Third game was Covenant Slayer on Sword Base. Not a big fan of covenant slayer.

I didn't play enough games to get a great feel for the weapons.

The shotgun was pretty awesome. I got a shotgun spree with it.

Didn't get to use the pistol or DMR a whole lot. They feel pretty weak though. I really dislike the changing reticle size.

Grenades are extremely powerful and melees are kind of weak.

I really don't like the armor abilities. I hope when the real game comes out there are competitive playlists that don't use them.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
I didn't get to use the shotgun at all.

I agree about the grenades though, I hope they dial down the power of those just a little bit. Of course, I don't know if I was already hit and my shield was down or what...and maybe they aren't as powerful as I think they are...but it seemed like they were.

I actually really like the armor capabilities a lot.

I also hope to be able to assassinate someone. I kept forgetting to try last night.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I forgot to mention the assassinations. The new animations are pointless and remove you from the gameplay for a couple seconds. They are trying to make the game more flashy at the expense of the gameplay. Unless there are playlists that don't use the assassination animations and the armor abilities, I will not be buying this game.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
I can see what you're saying about the animations thing. Maybe they'll change that...it is only a beta, after all.

But I really hope they keep the armor abilities. After playing around with them last night, they were really fun. They don't give you so much game advantage that it's just unfair, IMO. I think they're all balanced very well, and it's not like you can't choose what you want to use.

If there's a big controversy over it, I would rather they just create different playlists that don't use it than getting rid of it altogether. I think it adds more fun to the game.

Swiftstrike

Registered Member
I forgot to mention the assassinations. The new animations are pointless and remove you from the gameplay for a couple seconds. They are trying to make the game more flashy at the expense of the gameplay. Unless there are playlists that don't use the assassination animations and the armor abilities, I will not be buying this game.
Team Slayer Pro has no armor abilities but sprint. Sprint IMO is only good for objective games. So if that's what your looking for echoes it will be probably be a playlist.

Overall, I have fun playing the game. The armor lock ability is overpowered and by far the best ability when used correctly in a team game. You can turn when in this mode and if someone is near you when you turn of the ability an EMP blast goes off deactivating everyone's shields who is close. Making it easy to turn and face the opponent while locked down and melee anyone near you completely taking the opponent by surprise. In FFA probably the camo is the most useful.

The DMR and Pistol clip sizes are too small. The Needler rifle is better than the DMR in terms of accuracy at the sacrifice of it taking one more shot to kill someone (unless they are all headshots or in the same spot the bullets will supercombine and explode making it great if you are accurate).

The armor abilities seem like they can be abused by the better players. Especially the Camo. If the entire opposing team has Camo radar will virtually be useless in-game if they are coordinated in their activations.

The game is fun but I would like to see some changes seems like they injected too much CoD but at the same time they couldnt create Halo 3.5.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
The DMR and Pistol clip sizes are too small. The Needler rifle is better than the DMR in terms of accuracy at the sacrifice of it taking one more shot to kill someone (unless they are all headshots or in the same spot the bullets will supercombine and explode making it great if you are accurate).
That's a thing I don't like. The clips are too shallow. That should be adjusted slightly for the retail version.

The armor abilities seem like they can be abused by the better players. Especially the Camo. If the entire opposing team has Camo radar will virtually be useless in-game if they are coordinated in their activations.
Again, that should be balanced for the retail, but I find that to be annoying as well.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Team Slayer Pro has no armor abilities but sprint. Sprint IMO is only good for objective games. So if that's what your looking for echoes it will be probably be a playlist.
There's no reason for them to even have sprinting. Between that, the changing reticle size, and having loadouts, they've turned Halo into Call of Duty. There was nothing wrong with the old Halo formula.

Swiftstrike

Registered Member
There's no reason for them to even have sprinting. Between that, the changing reticle size, and having loadouts, they've turned Halo into Call of Duty. There was nothing wrong with the old Halo formula.

I think they wanted to try something different. I am not a fan of the "bloom" as they call the changing of the reticule size. IMO it adds some inconsistency to the game making it harder to say "yeah I shot that guy" when the reality is you shot at him but completely missed because you shot too quickly. It's a controllable random element but its still random.

A lot of players are complaining about on the forums.

I don't mind some of the load outs but no the ones they have for many of the playlists.

These loadouts are actually different from many of the ones they were quoted to have created.

I am enjoying playing this game though.

The hammer I think is too strong, did I mention the grenades are too strong?

Well they are. In fact I dont want to get involved in a shooting match unless I have a grenade to soften the player because of the bloom getting too large.

The melees are pretty inconsistent which is expected in a beta but I am hoping they fix it.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
They aren't making it into CoD, but more accessible. It just happens to be that CoD is more accessible than Halo has been.