• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

XBOX Original Halo LAN Parties

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'm sure I'm not the only person who ever went to one of these. 16 player games just ruled. I used to work at a place that had 8 player Halo set up in the break room. That's where I first really played Halo, and also was really the main place I played it. We all got insanely good and the best part was it didn't really count as wasting time because what else were we going to do on break, watch TV? It was awesome, and most days we'd have a good hour during lunch to go 4 on 4, and time for at least 3 games during our break later in the day. Good times.

Actually a local GameStop had a massive Halo tournament last November 8th (04) when Halo 2 was about to come out at midnight. It started at like 8, and went until midnight. It was pretty intense. I thought I was good going in, but I was no match for the high schoolers who I swear must have been skipping school to be as good as they were... and that wouldn't surprise me either. There's something humbling about getting totally wasted by a 13 year old, but oh well. That same kid beat all of my friends from work too, who were better than I was to begin with. I wasn't expecting to win the tournament, I just figured it would be fun to try. I didn't want to win that 1:8 scale Master Chief collectible plastic stand-up that's probably worth a ton by now anyway.... Actually I did. It was the Halo 2 collectors edition that I didn't care about winning as much. After all, $50 would get me that anyway at midnight.

Anyway, enough about my Halo playing days. Who else got into the LAN experience with the original Halo?

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Unfortunately, I never got the chance to play anything other than splitscreen with a couple friends. None of my friends are really into videogames, so a big LAN party would have been difficult to arrange. Would have been awesome though. Halo 1 is so much better than Halo 2.

Mainus

My friends and I usually do a whole Halo lan with beverages and whatnot about once a month. They usually turn out pretty fun.

Mr_Snipes

Registered Member
I like doing LAN parties. It is so much fun getting together with a group of friends and playing games and eating food.

Pianobone

Registered Member
Yeah, I've been in many a Halo LAN before. In fact, Mr. Snipes and Andrew and I have played a couple of matches before.

The best LAN was at a friends house when we had 16 people on four Xboxes. Each Xbox was in a different room of the house so you couldn't screen peek. (Remember screen peeking? lol) Couple that with 15 other crazy Halo players and you have yourself a good time right there.

Albey

Registered Member
I have went to a few of them. Most lan party's were on computers at my house, but a few xbox halo party's have been there also..

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I've never been involved with a game that had more than four people that wasn't on Live. Four player split-screen when blazed is pretty fun, but it gets old for a while. It's pretty fun sitting down with some smoke or drink and a few buddies for some good Halo action. Depending on how many people want to play, we have the "if you're in last, you're out" rule to keep the players in rotation.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I always liked drinking or smoking and playing Halo until I realized how much it affects my skills. I'm way too competive to enjoy not being able to play as well as I'm capable of playing.

Pianobone

Registered Member
I used to work at a local arcade back when I was in high school and we had the "Xbox Theater," where they setup a big screen TV with an Xbox and everything. This was right when the Xbox first came out, so few people had them, but you could purchase time slots in the theater and play for 15 minutes or whatever.

When Halo came out, all of us that worked there would stay after closing and play for hours. Sometimes people would bring their Xboxes and we would LAN them for a night. It was so awesome, because you have to remember that the N64 was still a hot-ticket item with GoldenEye and Perfect Dark, so to have this great game (Halo) come out of nowhere was incredible.