• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

XBOX Original Halo: Combat Evolved - A Review

dDave

V.I.P.
I guess this counts as a review for the oldschool gamers club. Original Halo is pretty old at this point.

I played Halo: Combat Evolved with a friend all the way through on Normal difficulty (played original xbox disc on 360)

Pros
-Varied Weapons - There are a lot of weapons on the game and many of them really do have to be used in order to complete certain spots in the game. I also thought the warthog (though it drives terribly) was a lot of fun.

-Difficulty - In this I mean that I appreciate that it can go from super easy to unbearably hard. There were certainly some tough spots on normal but I've also played Legendary (on the first 4 levels, I just checked my old saves) and I remember how hard it was, I quit because it was so hard :lol:. I like that in a game sometimes.

-Level Design - I really liked most of the levels. There were lots of cool moments such as storming the beaches, escaping from the Pillar of Autumn, and the silent cartographer. I found most of the level design to be well varied and fun to look at and explore.

-SFX/Music - Occasionally you can hear things through the walls that you aren't supposed to hear but otherwise this is all fantastic and I definitely liked it.

Cons
-FPS Drop - At certain spots where a lot of enemies are onscreen or during any major explosions the framerate drops to a crawl. I know what I was looking at here, it had to have been like 5 or 6 fps. This wasn't constant but over the span of a level it would happen an average of 4 times I'd say.

-Co-Op Respawn - Sort of a broken feature, made the game way too easy in some spots.

-Repetitive Nature - This is something that only happens when you play on legendary (and may be heroic). You have to repeat some spots again and again, it gets really old really fast and defeat can be demoralizing.

-Level Design - I'm not one to complain about things in such a good game but I feel this needs to be said. The Library was awful. I went into this game not knowing much of anything, I went into it cold without the opinion of the whole internet to tell me how bad it was. The level was an insane grind that the developers had to have known was just too much. I took note myself that it was bad and came to that conclusion on my own with no other influences. On the subject of level design I do also wish to state that it's sometimes very unclear where the player is supposed to go.

Overall Score - 8/10

Last edited:

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I couldn't agree with you more about the cons of the level design. Some of the levels are so repetitive, like literally going through duplicate rooms and corridors for entire levels. That game is such a grind and is actually my least favorite in the series when it comes to the campaign (the multiplayer is a different story). I haven't played it in forever though. I may try to beat it on Legendary since I never did that for Halo 1 or 2. Heroic and Legendary are the only ways to play the series, in my opinion, at least when you've beaten the games before and know the story. The challenge keeps it fun.

I'm surprised you gave it a 9/10. I would probably give it about a 7. Each successive campaign gets better and better. 3 and Reach are probably my favorites, but 4 was really fun as well.

dDave

V.I.P.
I couldn't agree with you more about the cons of the level design. Some of the levels are so repetitive, like literally going through duplicate rooms and corridors for entire levels. That game is such a grind and is actually my least favorite in the series when it comes to the campaign (the multiplayer is a different story). I haven't played it in forever though. I may try to beat it on Legendary since I never did that for Halo 1 or 2. Heroic and Legendary are the only ways to play the series, in my opinion, at least when you've beaten the games before and know the story. The challenge keeps it fun.

I'm surprised you gave it a 9/10. I would probably give it about a 7. Each successive campaign gets better and better. 3 and Reach are probably my favorites, but 4 was really fun as well.
That's an 8, look at the number again. ;)

I don't think 7 is appropriate for this game.

I'm sure Halo 2 has a great campaign, everyone makes such a big deal about that game, eventually I'll see if the hype is worth it.

Reach is really screwed up (read The Fall of Reach and you'll know why). In concept I do like what the game is about though.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
You edited your post. Haha

All of the hype about Halo 2 is over the multiplayer. It's the best in the series in most people's opinions. I don't remember a whole lot about the campaign, but it is said to be the hardest one in the series, at least on Legendary.

I know the Reach story isn't exactly the same in the game as in the book. I haven't read the book (I think I have it somewhere though) so it doesn't bother me.