Xbox 360 Halo 3: Underrated, Overrated, Just Right?

Halo 3:

• Lives up to the hype

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Is it just me or is Halo 3 incredibly overrated? People make it out to be the best game ever made, when in reality it's just another Halo 2 with better graphics. Then again, people also made Halo 2 out to be the best game ever made.

Personally I'm sick of hearing about Halo. I prefer more realistic games and wish games like COD and Battlefield franchises would get more mainstream popularity. :shake:

To me, the Halo series has just become too arcade feeling.

Thoughts?

MAgnum9987

Do What Thou Wilt
I concur, I do believe both games are just given more popularity than they are do. Their most certainly are better games out their, they just arnt given their share of popularity

BigBob

Registered Member
I've never liked Halo.. I felt that the entire series is way overrated. I've played them only when there was nothing else to play and I had someone to play it with (I was usually drunk when I played).

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
Just right. I don't like the campaign, I think it's boring. But I never played any of the previous Halo games, which is probably why I do not enjoy the campaign. However, multi-player is challenging and a lot of fun.
Most people who think it's underrated aren't very good at it, or do not understand how to play it.

Swiftstrike

Registered Member
Halo series has revolutionized the shooter genre. Why? Not because of the campaign necessarily but because the MP is fantastic.

2 separate ranking systems.
Hoppers full of different play lists each with their own ranking system
Impeccable physics which surpass most shooters with a lot of glitches.
Forge map maker
Theater to watch your amazing kills.
Balanced game play coordination wins games not necessarily skill

I can understand someone who enjoys realistic military shooters. But Halo 3 has all the MP features most shooters should have but dont. Thats why it isnt overrated.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Just right. I don't like the campaign, I think it's boring. But I never played any of the previous Halo games, which is probably why I do not enjoy the campaign. However, multi-player is challenging and a lot of fun.
Most people who think it's underrated aren't very good at it, or do not understand how to play it.
Well I played Halo 1 for 2-3 hours a day easy for at least two years straight. I was a MAJOR Halo 1 fan. I definitely understand the game. I loved Halo 1 in fact. Admittedly, I haven't played 3 much at all but from what I've played/seen it just seemed to over the top for my tastes.

I can understand someone who enjoys realistic military shooters. But Halo 3 has all the MP features most shooters should have but dont. Thats why it isnt overrated.
That's my problem. The Halo franchise grew more and more towards arcade shooter than realistic. I hope the next project Bungie works on is a realistic shooter. If not, then I at least hope other shooters pick up on some of the MP extras they've added. There's no denying that they've made some good MP. I just think the arcade style gameplay is too fast paced.

Personally, my favorite XBOX Live type games are games like Rainbow Six where you have buildings and rooms and you work as a team to clear them out. That's more fun for me than team based chaos where the only teamwork involved is essentially "don't shoot your teammates". That's what I've seen Halo turn into. I could be wrong but I prefer either free for all or more strategy based team multi-player. Halo feels more like team/free for all to me.

Chaos

Epic Gamer
V.I.P.
On the one hand, I love the Halo series because I love the H1 and H2 campains, but to be honest I haven't really played Halo 3 on campain much yet. I actually prefer the graphics style if Halo 2, even though I know Halo 3's graphics are so much better. *Shrugs*

Also, for MP, I really prefer Gears of War 2, it just takes more skill and is more realistic and gritty, offering the unique A-cover function. GoW2 requires that you actually have some skill to rack up kills and rank - Halo 3 typically requires the ability to move-fast-shoot-fast to stay alive.

So, even though I'm a Halo nut and know pretty much everything there is to know about Halo lore, for MP GoW2 would get my vote, and for campain, I much prefer Halo 1 and 2.

Last edited:

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
Well I played Halo 1 for 2-3 hours a day easy for at least two years straight. I was a MAJOR Halo 1 fan. I definitely understand the game. I loved Halo 1 in fact. Admittedly, I haven't played 3 much at all but from what I've played/seen it just seemed to over the top for my tastes.

That's my problem. The Halo franchise grew more and more towards arcade shooter than realistic. I hope the next project Bungie works on is a realistic shooter. If not, then I at least hope other shooters pick up on some of the MP extras they've added. There's no denying that they've made some good MP. I just think the arcade style gameplay is too fast paced.

Personally, my favorite XBOX Live type games are games like Rainbow Six where you have buildings and rooms and you work as a team to clear them out. That's more fun for me than team based chaos where the only teamwork involved is essentially "don't shoot your teammates". That's what I've seen Halo turn into. I could be wrong but I prefer either free for all or more strategy based team multi-player. Halo feels more like team/free for all to me.
But it does require strategy, which is why I think most people don't really know how to play it and go for a free for all affect. If you strategize right, you murder players like those.

Swiftstrike

Registered Member
Yeah...Halo 3 takes strategy. Team shooting, taking certain map positions, designating certain roles for players, etc.

Basically a mediocre team with strategy will beat players of a higher skill level that are not coordinated.

It happens all the time. Super man skill can only take you so far in the game...Tactics defines good players. Experts count weapon spawns and hold map positions so that when you are fighting they will always have an advantage because they position themselves where teammates can help out.

Hybrix you probably havent played enough Halo to really gain that aspect of the game. I know it usually only surfaces amongst the top circles of Halo gamers not your average joe.

By the way most good Halo players whoop the crap out of more tactical games like Rainbow six.

I know my cousin who is fairly good at Halo 3, plays other FPS that are more realistic and he can't believe how bad players are. Good Halo players can pick up most FPSs and be just as good or better than the person who has been playing it for awhile without playing Halo.

Granted I am talking about console games. Not PC.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
But it does require strategy, which is why I think most people don't really know how to play it and go for a free for all affect. If you strategize right, you murder players like those.
Well sure you can still strategize, as you can in any team based game. I just prefer more in depth strategy. For example:

Military/Tactical Shooters:

"Ok, Anita go into this room and toss a flash grenade. Chaos, watch the balcony. Bob, wait a second and then follow Anita and watch her back in case there was anybody in that room. I'll go outside and come around behind them. As soon as I toss a grenade, I'll shout GO and the rest of you do what we just talked about as they back up towards the door."

Halo/Arcade Shooters:

"Ok, Anita take the warthog with Chaos and Bob. Head to their base and try to draw some fire. I'll snipe them as they start shooting for you."

But honestly, when I play XBOX Live lately, half the people don't talk in the games like Halo so it ends up being more like:

"Ok Anita get a warthog and we'll both take it to their base."

Then some random other group of friends on your team:

"No dude, we already called the warthog."

"Ok we're on the same team guys..."

"WTF YOU TOOK IT!" *shoots own teammate*

:lol:

Seriously though, if you enjoy strategy in arcade style shooters then you would probably love games like Battlefield or Call of Duty. Once you play those games you'll find it hard to go back to Halo. I know I haven't played it much at all since getting into Battlefield.
------
I know my cousin who is fairly good at Halo 3, plays other FPS that are more realistic and he can't believe how bad players are. Good Halo players can pick up most FPSs and be just as good or better than the person who has been playing it for awhile without playing Halo.

Granted I am talking about console games. Not PC.
Honestly the good tactical FPS players are probably on PC. :lol: After all, PC pretty much is where all the tactical based games started. Most people who were fans from the beginning have stuck with the PC versions over console. Tactical games work way better on PC because of the added buttons. The mouse/keyboard combo makes tactical games amazing on a PC vs console.

I guess that's my other issue with Halo. I've been into PC games for the most part since playing Halo 1 so it was hard to go back to the console. Controllers have felt too limited for me after getting into PC shooters.

Last edited: