Xbox 360 Halo 3: ODST

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
So, I bought the game and played it last night. I went partly through the campaign and went so far as switching to the character "Dutch". It seems fun, but I'd rather wait to play co-op with the guys, so I stopped playing it. I need a backpack. lol

I did play a little of the new mode, Firefight with George and Echoes. It was addictive and really, really fun. I ended up going to bed an hour after I wanted to because of that.

So, did you buy ODST? What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
I thought about picking it up. I was never a Halo fan and it sounded interesting to play a game outside of being the superhuman demon that Master Chief is. However, I'm really, really disappointed that the only multiplayer option is Firefight. I wish it had it's own fleshed out options and full modes for multiplayer but I'm assuming Bungie didn't want to create competition with Halo 3, although Modern Warfare 2 is going to do that severely this fall.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
You know, I'm not that disappointed about not having more than just firefight. Anything else they did besides that would be just like all of the other multiplayers...and I don't necessarily see anything wrong with the way it currently is. Your guy gets hurt pretty easy...because he's not a superhuman demon like Master Chief...so it would mostly be a lot of camping, which I find annoying. idk...guess it would depend on your preferences, but I'm good with what they did.

But firefight is a pretty awesome multiplayer by itself. I'm actually more pleased than I thought I would be with the game.

Chaos

Epic Gamer
V.I.P.
I've not really looked into getting it. I can't really afford to splash out that kinda money lately, so I didn't even bother doing any research to see what it's all about.

It's a shame because I've just started getting back into Halo 3 and now you guys are gonna be playing ODST all the time. :cry2:

If I had the cash lying around, then I'd look into it and see what the deal is with it. I'm a Halo nerd (more so the canon than the games) but I lost interest in Halo 3 because of the huge differences in graphics, gameplay, etc. So, especially after the Halo Wars thing, I'm not going to rush out and buy a game just because it's got 'Halo' attached to it. :dunno:
------
Also, what is this Firefight thing you guys are talking about? They didn't just do the same MP as Halo 3?

Last edited:

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
Firefight is basically horde for GOW2. It's done very well and I actually like it more than the horde for GOW2...which you know was always my favorite for that game. You have a pool of lives that you all dip from and respawn from that. If you use up all of the community lives...then whoever is left must finish out the round before the teammates can be brought back.

Also, ODST has a multiplayer disc for Halo 3...so you don't even need your original Halo 3 disc anymore if you get this. It also has all the maps to date on it.

Chaos

Epic Gamer
V.I.P.
Horde, eh? That sounds pretty interesting...:hmm:

What's the gameplay actually like though? Similar to Halo 3?

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
Horde, eh? That sounds pretty interesting...:hmm:

What's the gameplay actually like though? Similar to Halo 3?

Well, you're not as indestructible as Master Chief. You need health packs if you get hurt really bad. You can withstand a little bit of gunfire, but not much. You have to get behind cover quite a bit and can't charge though like you could as Master Chief. You have a special visor that you can turn on when it's darker, and it highlights your enemies, friends, and weapons. That is pretty cool, but it's virtually useless during a day time map. It's sort of like night vision. If you need to take cover, your vision turns red. That part annoys me a little, but not too much. I preferred the beeping of the shields myself.

I love love LOVE the new pistol in the game. You can zoom in on it like you could from Halo 1. It's really, really quiet though. It doesn't make much noise at all. You basically get waves of grunts and brutes. Depending on the map, they'll also drop wraiths on you. You'll also get a couple of hunters as the difficulty increases, and those damn chieftans with the hammers that are difficult. :|

But it's really a lot of fun. I just wish you could ghost cam it after you die like you can for gears.

Mihael_langley

Formerly "Maikeru"
I think there is something very wrong with this whole Halo franchise prespective.

Halo games have always been pretty standard FPS compared to MW or Battlefield not to mention the lackluster graphics, yet they get incredible hyped by the fans, by the gaming press with huge reviews and sells millions (ODST sold 2 millions in 24h)

And now that Bungie have come up with a variation for the best, with a more solid structure in combat a slightly but visible graphical update, the same famous soundtrack, the best of Halo 3 Multiplayer plus a new mode and they get flamed by the press -.-

I believe ODST is a good package.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Flamed by the press? ODST has an 87% on GameRankings right now. How is that being flamed? There's simply people out there that are not ready for a change to a formula that has been the same for 3 games now.