• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Halloween near-miss asteroid

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
It was discovered 11 days ago on October 10 and they named it asteroid 2015 TB145. It's about 470 meters in diameter (1,542 feet) so it's about 28x the size of the meteorite that hit Chelyabinsk Russia.
Its faster than a lot of other asteroids and travelling at 126,000 km (78,000 miles) per hour. They havent had time to study it much but they believe it will only get 498,896 km (310,000 miles) from Earth. Thats about 1.3x the distance from Earth to the moon.

It will make its closest approach on October 31 at 15:14 hours UTC (11:14 am ET) but it will only be magnitude-10 so if anyone wants to see it they will need at least a 8" telescope. You can find it after midnight in the Orion constellation. It will complete a triangle with the stars Betelguese and Rigel to the west. If you have a computerized telescope just point it at HIP 23301.
http://earthsky.org/space/big-asteroid-will-safely-pass-earth-on-halloween-october-31-2015

Thoughts?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I read just a bit about this. Only known about it for 11 days. That is alarming because if it was on a collision course with earth that wouldn't be enough time to do much.

Lets just hope something doesn't hit it sending it our way.

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
I read just a bit about this. Only known about it for 11 days. That is alarming because if it was on a collision course with earth that wouldn't be enough time to do much.

Lets just hope something doesn't hit it sending it our way.
Yeah its really scary because it could happen again. But I read somewhere that they are developing a system that will let them find at least 90% of all the small asteroids. But theres tons of volume in the solar system so it could be a really long time before they find all of them.

Atm the Orion constellation is mostly east but slightly south so near the horizon. I will definitely be watching this.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I would like to see it too but because of the hills where I live if its too close to the horizon I can forget about it.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
It wouldn't even have to be an extinction size event to really screw things up for decades to come.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Impaired Art & Creative 3
Konshentz Movies & TV 0
Babe_Ruth Movies & TV 1
Hilander General Discussion 4
sunrise Bathroom Wall 0