Halladay or Santana?

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Babe_Ruth, May 29, 2009.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I am currently have this debate on another forum, it's pretty heated. So I decided to start this debate on these forums.

In your opinion, who is better?

Who had the better career so far?

Please explain your answer. I think this can get pretty heated, which is great. Except if everyone agrees with me, which I don't really see happening for some reason.

Thoughts?

2. metsforever7515

metsforever7515 Registered Member

You knew it was going to happen. Johan Santana. Johan should be 9-0 right now, his two losses are on un-earned runs. He has basically pitched as well as anyone could and unless Charlie Manuel is THAT bias, should be getting a nod in the ASG this summer.

3. Babe_Ruth

Halladay should be 10-1 right now, his last game he left with an 8-3 lead in the bottom of the seventh, but the bullpen blew it, then the game before that the Jays couldn't give him any run support. He left the game against the Braves in the seventh inning, the game was scoreless. The only reason why he left is because there was a runner on second for the Jays and he was coming to bat.

Personally I believe Halladay is better, no it's not because I am bias. Santana might have a lower ERA, but Halladay as thrown more innings then he has. Both of them are pitching tonight, so it should be interesting to see how they do.

You also have to take into consideration that Halladay throws against better competetion then Santana, and he doesn't face a pitcher three times a game, which are usually an easy out.

4. metsforever7515

Yeah, but Santana always comes up big. For example, September 27 of last year. Mets needed a win to stay in contention and what did he do? Complete game 2 hit shutout. Also he should have won 23 last year. The Bullpen blew 7 games for him. He would have probably won the NL Cy Young last year.

5. Babe_Ruth

The Bullpen blew a lot of games for Halladay last year, in his 11 lost last season Halladay only got 3.2 run support per lost. That's mostly why he lost. During some games, he didn't pitched well, which is why I believed that he did deserve the lost, but on many cases he pitched well and didn't get enough runs to get the win.

Everytime the Jays had a losing streak last season or previous seasons, they didn't last more then four games, because when the Jays needed a win Halladay was there to get one most of the time. So he's good in the clutch during the regular season.

6. metsforever7515

Same with Santana. When the Mets aren't doing well or after a tough loss like last night, when Santana's on the mound all is well.

7. Millz

Millz Black 7! Staff Member V.I.P.

Let's take wins and losses outta the equation for a second...who is better then? I hate wins and losses sometimes becuase you rely on so many other factors unless you are the one completing the game. That's what makes Halladay so strong is that he finishes more games then anybody else...and that's a skill.

If I had to pick one or the other in a big game I might take Santana. My reason being he's a lefty, he has the best changeup in the game and Halladay has never sniffed the postseason.

8. Babe_Ruth

Another brilliant start for Halladay yesterday. I know he allowed four earned runs, which is pretty high. But he did have a complete game win, finished with 14 strikeouts, he had 133 total pitches, dont remember the last time someone threw that much. Oh yeah, he closed out the game by striking out the side. Not to shabby if you ask me.

9. Millz

Millz Black 7! Staff Member V.I.P.

That goes back to my point about him finishing games like a mad man...nobody in the league completes games like Halladay. And you dont see wear and tear on his arm either...he's in a league of his own sometimes.