Halladay on the trading block?

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Babe_Ruth, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Someone interviewed the General Manager of the Blue Jays yesterday, and they asked him if Halladay is on the trading block, J.P said that he's willing to listen to offers. Now I think everyone knows how much I like Halladay (especially Cons) so I don't want the Jays to trade him. I am sure there's going to be a lot of teams calling for his services, but those teams will need to give the perfect package for J.P to pull the trigger. They'll need a great starter that will be able to pitch in the starting rotation this year and next year, and highly touted prospect. Halladay wants to win a Championship, that's his main goal right now, he also wants to win in Toronto, but his contract his up at the end of the 2010 season, I'm just afraid that he'll walk away, because he will want to sign with a contender. I know the Red Sox and Yankees will be calling, but there's no way he gets traded in the AL East.

2. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

I've been waiting for him to be traded for at least 3 years now to be honest. A guy with his type of skill and career numbers has got to be starving for a title and it seems like Toronto isn't up to the task. I can agree that I don't see him being traded within the AL East, but like JP said, he would trade but only for the greatest offer.

3. Babe_Ruth

I'm with you, I thought he would of been traded a few seasons ago, but he loves it in Toronto and he wants to try and win a World Series there, but he's realizing that his dream might not come true. I know I'm not being realistic here, but I would like it if the Jays traded him, got a good starting pitcher and a few great prospects, then when his contract his up in 2010 the Jays sign him. But that will never happen, first of all he wouldn't go back to them if he didn't win a World Series, second of all a team can sign him to extension pass 2010 if he gets traded. He holds a no-trade clause so he pretty much decides where he wants to play pretty much. Should be pretty interesting to see what will happen with him during the next month or so.

4. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

I heard about this this morning. I would love to see Halladay in Houston but we're not enough of a contender, and the only player I can see trading for him is Oswalt so I doubt that's happening. I love Halladay and would love to see him win a ring. I doubt he'll be going to the AL East, but we'll see.

5. Millz

Millz LGB Staff Member V.I.P.

Apparently the Cardinals have "a real interest" in optaining Roy Halladay. The discussed deal would send Brett Wallace, Peter Kozma, Darryl Jones, Clayton Mortensen and Bryan Anderson. Those are some real good prospects we'd have to give up...none of which are really major league ready.

Wallace is the biggest piece that Toronto will surely want.

6. Babe_Ruth

You might know more about those prospects then I do, so I believe you when you say that their really good prospects. The only thing is that the Blue Jays want a Major League ready pitcher as well, either an ace or a guy that can pitched second in the rotation. I doubt they'll trade him only for prospects, no matter how good they're. Also wouldn't you love to have Halladay, if he did join that would re-unite him with Chris Carpenter. He might be a big piece in this thing, since their good friends.

7. Millz

I keep thinking of a rotation of Carpenter, Halladay, Wainwright and Lohse and I just salivating haha...that would be so sick. And you're right about Carp and Roy and them being friends...not sure how much it'll help though.

Brett Wallace is a power hitting third baseman who was our 1st round pick just last year. He's hit so well he jumped all the way to AAA already.

Peter Kozma is a shortstop who was our first round pick in 2007...he's currently in AA. Apparently the Jays like him.

Bryan Anderson is a good hitting catcher but isnt the best fielder. He's in AAA...although I thought he got hurt so he might be off the books.

Darryl Jones...outfielder...will be in the future's game this year. Dont know much about him.

Clayton Mortensen is a young pitching prospect currently in AAA. Not sure he's the biggest prospect in the world but he's solid...I would think the Jays would want more but I'm not sure there's an alternative in the rotation.

8. Babe_Ruth

Thanks for the information. I like I mentioned, Halladay as a no-trade clause in his contract so he could void any trades. I think if J.P came up to him and said would you like to get traded to St Louis, I don't think he would void it, since they have a championship caliber team.

9. Millz

Yeah I dont see that being a problem given the track record of St Louis baseball teams and the fact him and Chris Carpenter are boys.

I'd love to have him, obviously, but I dont know if the Cards are willing to mortage the future.

10. Babe_Ruth

I think sometimes it is worth giving up the future to win a Championship, especially if you get someone like Halladay who I believe is the best pitcher in the Major Leagues. One concern I would have though as a Cardinal fan is that he's a Free Agent at the end of next, they have to sign him to an extension. Or else that would be a huge risk to take.