• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Had to cancel my gym membership...

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
:cry: Due to financial reasons, I have to cancel my gym membership for now...I'm hoping that I'll be able to rejoin in several months, but for now I'm gymless. I hadn't been going in at least a month and a half because grad school and my internship has had me beyond busy, and worn out on top of that.

I'm making this thread for a specific purpose, though, because the above is more of a random thought. Most of you know that I've had two hip replacements (I'm 27 years old, almost 28)...I need some brainstorming on ways to work out, keeping in mind that my leg range of movement is limited in some ways and that impact (running) is out of the question. So besides the obvious push-ups and sit-ups, any interesting fitness ideas?

I don't have any weights of my own, and while there is an awesome trail by my house we're about to start up with winter temperatures in my area for the next few months.

Suggestions are greatly appreciated! :cool:

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
Sorry to hear that! I hope you can figure out another way to keep you body in shape. Why don't you start running outdoors?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
All you need is a couple of 20-30 lbs weights, which I'm sure you can find on Craiglist for cheap. If you have those then you can easily keep in shape by yourself.

Here's a good page that will help you out, obviously you won't be able to do every excercises, but you can do a lot of them. They show you how to do them with animation that might be a big help for you.

Dumbbell Exercises Complete with Animated Diagrams

Hopefully this helps you out.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
All you need is a couple of 20-30 lbs weights, which I'm sure you can find on Craiglist for cheap. If you have those then you can easily keep in shape by yourself.

Here's a good page that will help you out, obviously you won't be able to do every excercises, but you can do a lot of them. They show you how to do them with animation that might be a big help for you.

Dumbbell Exercises Complete with Animated Diagrams

Hopefully this helps you out.
Thanks a lot, Biz. That really is a huge help!

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
Read the whole first post, it should explain the running and the outdoors part. :)
sorry. I had read it but I immediately forgot about it. I am sleepy at this very moment.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
Just wanted to bump this thread in case anyone has any new ideas for good home workouts!

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I agree with BR, some dumbells would be all you need. I would recommend buying Men's Health's Big Book of Exercises. Try the Spartacus workout that Hybrix posted, you can limit some exercises based on limited range of motion.