Habs rant!

Discussion in 'Hockey' started by Babe_Ruth, May 13, 2010.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

First off, I'd like to say I'm proud of the Montreal Canadiens, words cannot describe what I'm feeling right now. Second, I decided to start a new thread about this because I didn't want it to get buried in the playoff discussion thread.

Now this isn't a rant against the Montreal Canadiens, why would I do that lol. This rant is for some fans and analyst out there, and Crosby for his comments after the loss last night.

It's a team effort, yes I know Halak as been a game savior, but he's not the only reason why this team as made it this far in the playoffs. The offense as been good, Cammallari, Gionta and others are finding the end of the net, the defenseman, Gill, Georges, Subban, Markov, Spacek(when not injured. The Canadiens have blocked close to 400 shots thus far in the playoffs, which is close to 200 more then the next team.

I'm just tired of people saying it's all Halak, especially cry babies like Crosby who said last night that he's stunned that Montreal won, and a team can't be outshot 2-1 each game and win the series. Accept Crosbitch, Muller, Martin and company found a way to shut you and your boyfriend Malkin down. You were only able to score one goal in the series, and that's when Gill missed a game.

Montreal are in the Eastern Conference finals because their TEAM played well together and beat two teams that were suppose to go far in the playoffs.

/Rant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

This is one thing I don't really like about hockey. A team that isn't that great just gets a hot goaltender in the playoffs and makes a deep run almost every year. Montreal was the 19th best team in the league during the regular season. I didn't watch the series, but when you're outshot by a 2-1 margin you've been outplayed. It's like in football when one team has 300 more yards of total offense and dominates time of possession, yet loses because of missed field goals or fluke turnovers or something. But hey, that's sports. The better team doesn't always win.

In other news, way to stay classy, Montreal.

Cops gas hundreds of Montreal youths hours after Habs fans celebrate win - ESPN

3. Millz

Millz LGB Staff Member V.I.P.

Crosby is shocked...I am shocked...who wouldn't be shocked? Montreal was the 8th seed in the Western Conference. They weren't favored against the best team in the East and they weren't favored against the defending Cup Champs. I don't disagree with the best player in the world, Crosby, either. In that regard, of course.

I thought Pittsburgh played better overall but Montreal is the team that won regardless of what happened. Halak was awesome but Mike Camalleri is a beast. And the defense is solid.

But yeah, who wouldnt be shocked they won? I am completely befuddled they won.

4. Babe_Ruth

First off! I agree with your comments about Montreal fans Echoes, it's the only thing that emberasses me being a Habs fan.

Now on to the Canadiens, yes they finished with the eight seed in the Eastern Conference, but the Habs weren't a full team most of the year, Gionta missed tons of time, Cammallari missed a lot of time, Markov missed lots of time. They didn't really have a full squad all year, but they got healthy at the right time and now they have their full squad minus Markov.

Even if their being outshot 2-1, or Halak as been making some incredible saves, you still have to put the puck in the net, which the Canadiens have done. Sorry Echoes, I don't mean to be an ass here, but like you said you didn't watch the series, so it's hard for you to give a fair judgement in my opinion. Like I said, Gill and Georges shut down Crosby, they help him to one goal, the best player in the NHL only scored one goal and had five points. He had 14 points in the first series alone. He barely took any shots either, so most of the credit as to go to the defenseman and not just Halak. Then you have Malkin who is arguably top three player in the NHL who was only held to one goal himself.

Halak as played well, and yes he's one of the biggest reasons why we made it so far, but he's not the only reason why.

It's weird that you say you're shock Millz since you picked Montreal to win against the Penguins.

5. Millz

Millz LGB Staff Member V.I.P.

I made the pick based off of momentum and I thought there was a chance they could do it.

But they were destroyed in game 1, 6-3 and had to win a game 7 on the road for the second straight series.

I didnt think it was possible!

6. Konshentz

Konshentz Konshentz

Halak may not be the only reason they've made it this far, but he's the biggest.

I'd be surprised if someone wasn't shocked by the Canadiens beating both Washington and Pittsburgh. They limped into the playoffs, did anyone realistically think they'd beat the two best teams in the east (other than overly optimistic Montreal fans)? Haha.

7. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

This is why I love hockey...

Because One player can make such a difference, lead the team and fuel them through the hardest part of the NHL Year. Halak may not be the next Patrick Roy... but who cares, Cam Ward was the same way, a flat out Menace in the Post season the year the Canes won the Cup. But after that he wasnt shit.

This is just one of those things that makes me love sports... proof that the Sports gods do pay attention and they do pick favorites :hah:

I was actually reading an article a couple days back about the No-Name A's Pitcher who pitched a Perfect game, but he was also the Pitcher that A-Rod had broken some Cardinal Unspoken Rules against... Just funny how he can be practically Spit on like that then turn around and be gifted with such a Stat that only few Pitchers in the last Decade can even say they've done.

I feel the same works for Hockey, always has... The Hockey Gods will Come out of nowhere and seem to possess goalies like Halak, Ward, and many others, or even Players for that matter. I mean RJ Umberger in the 08-09 Playoffs Scored something random like 6-7 Goals over 5 games in the Blue Jackets First Playoff Series. Without him... the BJ's woulda been Swept and made to look even more pathetic than they were against a very Seasoned opponent.

Heres to the Hockey Gods Smiling on the Habs :beer: Hopefully they can go All the Way this year.

I was shocked, thats for sure. The Eastern Conference is definitely not a Goalie Friendly conference, Halak really lucked out. Hopefully he's got more in the tank though.

8. Major

I'm not going to judge who played better, but I am going to judge who the better team was all year, and that's Pittsburgh. Every team battles injuries. The fact is, Montreal was a mediocre at best team over the course of the season. If they go on to win the Stanley Cup it would be a joke to call them the best team. This just proves that there are too many playoff teams. There is absolutely no reward for having a strong regular season. None. Oh wow, an extra home game. Give me a break.

9. Babe_Ruth

So it's just a fluke that they beat the number one team in the NHL and the defending Stanley Cup Champions in consecutive series?

It's a joke? There's a reason they beat the best team in the NHL, and the Penguins it's because they played better than they did, and if you don't believe that then there's something wrong.

10. Major

They played better in a short series. The other teams played better over 82 games. Upsets can and do happen. Just because one team beats another doesn't mean they're a better team, especially in hockey where one goaltender can change a series.