H1N1

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by EllyDicious, Jun 27, 2009.

1. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

I just heard on the news that nearly 1 million Americans are infected by H1N1.
    how do you cope with that? what's happening in the state you live in? do you live with that fear? (especially in the U.S)

here in Albania no one is infected yet but it's expected for the virus to come after August when Albanians get back from vacation.

2. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

I have no idea if that number is true or not, it's a lot higher than any number I've seen or read.

As usual, I think the coverage of it was blown out of proportion, and no I don't live in fear of it.

3. AwkwardlyYours

AwkwardlyYours Registered Member

Ha! Stupid Swine/H1N1 Flu...

It's been blown WAY out of proportion. I've known 3 people that had it. They went to the doctor and were diagnosed with it. They took the medications prescribed to them for it? And they were fine in two days afterward. It's not a big deal. The media is just very special and full of propaganda.

4. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

oh. .. so you're saying it's not a big deal. :shifteyes:
    strange because i've heard/read that as soon as you get H1N1 you're gonna die. ...
    i've heard some people having the identical symptoms of H1N1 but in fact they had another flu (a simple one). Thus, some might think H1N1 is not a big deal when actually it wasn't this kind of flu they were having.
    so...it's kind of cunfsuing ... you know ..

5. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

This is the official World Health Organisation (WHO) update WHO | Influenza A(H1N1) - update 54

They update very often. :nod:

As of June 26:

21,449 confirmed cases in the US (87 deaths)
    8,279 confirmed cases in Mexico (115 deaths)

Those are the two countries with most number of cases and deaths.

As you can see, it's far from being a million. The total cases all over the world is not even 60,000. And the deaths are below 1% of the cases, so it's not really a death sentence if someone is infected by this. Of course, being properly monitored and treated must contribute somehow to the low percentage.

6. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

I think Eli was referring to this article;

The Press Association: US swine flu total hits one million

Nixola likes this.
  7. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Well that article also mentioned the US numbers along 20k-ish. I wonder how they got one million estimate spin from that. :hmm:

If it's from survey, then why not report it as a case? Or is this one million the number of sick people that can be attributed to the H1N1 virus but not yet sure? I think that the declaration is misleading and can even to send some people to panic.

8. micfranklin

micfranklin Eviscerator

A million sounds like a stretch to me but as long as I don't have swine flu, which supposedly isn't normally fatal then I'm fine.

9. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

Its not that big of a deal honestly. And the whole "get it = death" not true. There were only a few cases here in the start of the Swine Flu scare where US Citizens were actually dying from the H1N1 virus.

Mexico got hit hard, because A) Their government is in shambles and was not able to cope with a virus such as this and B) They arent known for their great medical population or even care of health for that matter.

Hearing about the swine flu rampaging through Mexico is analogous to third world African countries battling Ebola.

I live in California, one of the huge H1N1 trafficking epicenters for the virus spread. We had a few cases where I live, nobody I know. Then once those people healed up... I havent heard a single thing about the Virus causing any more calamity.

Honestly... I believe its safe to say that the H1N1 virus is no more dangerous than a regular Flu anymore.

10. Pugz

Pugz Ms. Malone V.I.P. Lifetime

I caught sight of an article that a 9 year old died of swine flu :(. It's only seriously fatal to the young and the elderly.