• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

H-1B Visas Not Fair To Americans

ILuvChuzzles31

Registered Member
Believe me when I say I don't mind if people that come from another country gets work here in the US. But when it hinders people that were born and raised in the US and can't get jobs first that is really sad to me.

Why is not the US helping its own first? American I'm sure are trying to raise families and need the work to do that?
The government then should not be surprised then many Americans are standing in line at the welfare or Social Security office to get money to raise families..
How else then do they survive?

Tech Demands More H-1B Visas As Critics Cry Foul - NBC News

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'm sure tech companies would like to see more of these visa's since these people will often work for less than Americans not that they can't find Americans to fill the position.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
Have you read the article? Honestly, the H-1B visa has more benefits for America than it offers negative aspects. It brings in professionals in fields where there is currently a shortage of skills within the US. It's also a great exchange style program, where international ideas and outlooks can be shared. Keep in mind, thousands of Americans work outside of America as well.

It's not meant to undercut salaries for foreign workers where Americans can do the job. Sure, some companies exploit the program and do pay less than they should, but that is not within the guidelines of this program at all. I can understand why Americans complain about illegal immigrants doing low wage jobs, but the H-1B program is a skilled worker program. America wins all the way with this, imo.

Here are some interesting facts from the article you posted that should be considered before automatically assume that this program takes away American jobs.

Each year, thousands of applications for coveted H-1B visas pour in from companies looking to employ foreign workers in highly specialized positions the firms say mostly cannot be filled by Americans.
make up for a deficit of American talent in the STEM fields –- science, technology, engineering, and math.
...reams of economic data demonstrate that highly-skilled immigrants create American jobs,” Kate Hansen, a spokesperson for FWD.us, said in an email. “In fact, every foreign-born student who graduates from a U.S. university with an advanced degree in STEM creates an average of 2.62 jobs for American workers.”

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
Each year, thousands of applications for coveted H-1B visas pour in from companies looking to employ foreign workers in highly specialized positions the firms say mostly cannot be filled by Americans.
Why cant those positions be filled by Americans?

make up for a deficit of American talent in the STEM fields –- science, technology, engineering, and math.
Why is there a deficit of American talent?

...reams of economic data demonstrate that highly-skilled immigrants create American jobs,” Kate Hansen, a spokesperson for FWD.us, said in an email. “In fact, every foreign-born student who graduates from a U.S. university with an advanced degree in STEM creates an average of 2.62 jobs for American workers.”
American graduates could do the same thing.

American workers are already suffering from outsourcing and illegal immigrants taking their jobs. Why should any American accept a new way to give their jobs to foreigners?
Imo any nation that has to import labor and outsource jobs isnt working for the people. Also those 2.62 jobs wouldnt have to be given to Americans anyway.
America needs to be working for itself and its own people.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
Why cant those positions be filled by Americans?
Because there is a shortage in these skills within the American workforce.

Why is there a deficit of American talent?
Excellent question. But I am rather not going to answer that with my opinion, as it is just my opinion. ;)

American graduates could do the same thing.
Studies show that there are not enough American graduates in these specific fields to fill the need.

American workers are already suffering from outsourcing and illegal immigrants taking their jobs. Why should any American accept a new way to give their jobs to foreigners?
What you need to remember is that these H-1B visas are incredibly hard to obtain. It's not something that is just handed out to anyone who wants it. The requirements to even qualify is extremely strict, and then on top of that, there is a yearly cap for these visas, dictating a maximum allowed applicants to receive this.

The regular annual cap for these visas are approx. 65,000. The population of the USA is approx. 317 million. Let's say 150 million of those people are either in the workforce or eligible to be in the workforce, so over the age of 18 and under the age of 60. Even if they increased the cap to 150 000 visas per year, it would still only be 0.1% of your workforce.

So let's go on 0.1% of your workforce working on these visas. These are the best and brightest minds in their fields from across the world. The WORLD. How is that not beneficial to America?

Imo any nation that has to import labor and outsource jobs isnt working for the people. Also those 2.62 jobs wouldnt have to be given to Americans anyway.
America needs to be working for itself and its own people.
I'm sorry Dr4gon, but I think that's an extremely narrow minded point of view. If every country only employed their own countrymen, the world would go backwards. So let no foreigners into America to work, and let absolutely no American go work in different countries? Third world here we come!!

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I'm sure tech companies would like to see more of these visa's since these people will often work for less than Americans not that they can't find Americans to fill the position.
I'd take this a step further and state that it's any company. They don't want to hire Americans because Americans have rights, more laws protecting them, and more financial obligations and desires. From a strictly profit point of view, it makes zero sense to hire domestic workers when these immigrants will work for basically nothing, ask zero questions, and do exactly what they're told. To me, that screams a bigger problem.

The American government has done little, regardless of political alignment, to help Americans in need and is often in favor of not helping people or helping them in wrong ways.

ReasontoBelieve

Registered Member
Many Americans are afraid to speak up about this. As if we were to be accused as being racist. It has nothing to do with race at all. . it has to do with American citizenship those who were born here and lived here all their life. .

Do Americans have the right to go over seas and take away others countries opportunities if the country citizens needs those jobs just as much as we do?. . imagine 2 farms. Both are next to one another. Your friends live on your side. The other people live at the other side. You could have asked your friend to work in your field. . instead you go to the other side looking for the best crop growing. Maybe you think this will do well for your farm and land of crops. So now you think your ahead somehow.

But now look at your friends. They eat plain oatmeal for breakfast. Peanut butter sandwiches for lunch and hot dogs for dinner.

Yet those you hired are getting a three course breakfast lunch and dinner including many in between meal addition. This is your farm and this is what you did to your friends.
In likewise this is what America is doing to itself. . it's simply robbing its own people. . come on now. this is like saying…. America has no talent. These companies are making American workers feel inferior to those foreigners offered the jobs these American workers even some to colleges. . you are a Benedict Arnold if you don't consider the people living here. .

hey it is great America can help and donate to other nations. . it's well that some immigrant can come to work. But when it goes as far as replacing American workers it only means one thing.. greed. These owners are just looking out for themselves. . they have no desire to help people around them. . they want to send thousands of Americans to welfare offices and unemployment lines just cause they found some bright people in another country. . this makes the USA not its own country anymore. . we are only a borrowed land. For everyone else now owns this place . our houses, cars, and jobs are all being given away to those in far away places. . we are now probably one of the worse countries in the world as how its own citizens feels about helping its own people.

While for example even in South America families and communities try to give these people work. My friend Rey knows in the Philippines Americans will leave their family on the street. But in the Philippines more often family invite them to stay. . I want things to turn around over here. I am not proud of this country anymore. We no longer represent red white and blue. For whatever we had been found is now being handed over to everyone else except us who live here.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'd take this a step further and state that it's any company. They don't want to hire Americans because Americans have rights, more laws protecting them, and more financial obligations and desires. From a strictly profit point of view, it makes zero sense to hire domestic workers when these immigrants will work for basically nothing, ask zero questions, and do exactly what they're told. To me, that screams a bigger problem.

The American government has done little, regardless of political alignment, to help Americans in need and is often in favor of not helping people or helping them in wrong ways.
Your right any company, and individuals, will do this to save a dime its just not the tech industry. I wonder how hard they try to even find an American to fill the position. Put a note up on a bulletin board somewhere that no one will see.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.

They are talking about Visa's for people to work here, which means they are subject the exact same laws and regulations as everyone else. And these are tech jobs, not minimum wage jobs. This is happening because Americans, by and large, are lazy and don't want to get educated. They want jobs handed to them and then do nothing once they are hired.

ReasontoBelieve

Registered Member
They are talking about Visa's for people to work here, which means they are subject the exact same laws and regulations as everyone else. And these are tech jobs, not minimum wage jobs. This is happening because Americans, by and large, are lazy and don't want to get educated. They want jobs handed to them and then do nothing once they are hired.
Captain this is not all about lazy Americans. This has much to do with pay roll and job opportunities. You make it sound like we are a stupid country not capable enough to learn or get these kinds of jobs.

Let’s say for example one Monday your desk was cleaned out. A man named Alvarez took your place. Telling you he knows as much as you do in law. And yet he will accept both less pay and fewer benefits. You may say that is not fair. I know the law. That is the issue here. You were removed even though you are just as qualified American born citizen but Alvarez born in South America is well at law also feeling they can save money they can let you go. That is basically what is happening here.

Americans at all levels are being replaced from entry level to more professional jobs and technical support. Have you called Clear internet lately. Find an American worker. You will hear other accents. How hard can it be to train an American to be a Clear internet tech support who can better communicate with English speaking people? This is not NASA. This can be done. .

For what I had said the bill only puts more weight upon what we already are facing now. We have too many South Americans taking over entry level work. These people did not have to legally qualify to get many of these jobs. Then Chinese and Middle East will also set up businesses. Where then is work for the American workers? From south to north and east people are coming from all directions. . This is not a one percent issue. Cause I tell you now that if it was only one percent all of us now would be content with this bill.

But you have to live here to see reality. In the Rodney King LA riots the American black citizens were breaking windows on these Chinese stores. Why were they not mad at the white people?. . Because it was a greater issue these African Americans were losing jobs to these immigrant Chinese all over black communities in every direction they looked. Where are they supposed to find work if all these immigrants are coming over here?

This is not a one percent issue. This is a landslide. If you have applied for work look around and see who is working. Even the major league baseball is also likely to hire an American born Mexican than to hire a Dominican Republican baseball player. . I’ve looked at many of these profiles and I wonder why all these American Mexican players were not as qualified as South American born players. As you can see this is an all American issues for all races and ethnics born and true patriotic people of this country. Let the blacks get their jobs back. Let the common whites return to factories. Let the American born Mexicans get the baseball jobs back.

Here are some suggestions. Scouts job programs and educators need to be placed in high schools. Lecturers need to be taught in classes the importance of educating and Americas future and role. Kids can sign up for after school education and or employment opportunities to learn these fields need to be trained. This can be done as well in colleges. Americans want a fair chance. It’s all we are really saying here.