Gym Class Games

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Doc, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

I was talking to Echoes on MSN and was reminded of games that you would play in gym class in grade school. I figured we could get some talk going on them.

I remember a game we had called "puff polo." We had what were basically giant cue tips with a metal handle and Styrofoam puffs and hit around a NERF ball into goals on either end of the basketball court. Fun times.

patkick likes this.

2. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

hmm, gym class games? I have played many.

my favorite was good old capture the flag though using flag belts.

One thing that really made this game fun was when we decided that except for the goalies nobody could use their arms, good times, good times...

3. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

My favorite sport in gym was definitely floor hockey. One year we played outdoors on the tennis courts in the winter and it was a lot of fun. You didn't want to get hit by the ball in the cold weather though.

Badminton was awesome. I was always really good at it.

And we did this unit called pickleball every year. It's like a cross between tennis and badminton. You play on a badminton court, but with a low net, and you use a wood paddle and a whiffle ball.

I really miss all that stuff. I want to go back to high school just for gym class.

4. Vincent_Valentine

Vincent_Valentine Studley-Do-Right

We played a lot of dodge ball, one variation of which was called He-Man. There was a gym mat set up at each end of the court and if you knocked it down with a throw your team won instantly.

5. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Dodge ball was one of my favorites. Unfortunately we never played it much for some reason. We always ended up playing stupid stuff instead.

My favorite version of dodgeball was always jailball, where you go to "jail" if you are hit, and your whole team was freed once somebody on your team caught a ball that was thrown at them.

6. Iris

Iris rainbow 11!

We played dodge ball and just regular stuff. Soccer, football, etc.

But we also played this one game.. For the life of me I can't remember what it was called. But it was very similar to volleyball, except you have to let it bounce once before you hit it.

7. patkick

patkick #21

Puff polo was so much fun. I used to hit other people with those styrofoam puff. Not too hard, it was just for fun. :lol:

I wish I still had gym class. When I was still in highschool, I was always looking forward to gym class.

We also had a game called tipi ball. 3 wooden sticks tied together with a rope is the tipi. The tipi is placed on a soft mat of 6ft by 12 ft. The goal of the game is to prevent the opossite team of knocking down the tipi. The mat is for the soft landing.

Bounce it once before hitting? That sounds boring, takes away the explosiveness and speed out of the volleyball game.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2008
  8. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

Dodgeball's illegal so we played a slightly different version called "Divergent Ball" :rolleyes: It was the same concept but we used those foamy balls and we had pins we were supposed to knock down.

Then there was Nuke 'Em, which was a volleyball type game. Each team would throw volleyballs over the net and the opponents would try to catch them. You miss and you go to jail which was on the back of the opposite court. Teammates free jailed players by throwing long passes. If the opponent caught the long passes, then the person who threw it would be out.

9. Iris

Iris rainbow 11!

Please tell me I'm being a dumbass.

But are you serious? Why is it illegal?

10. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

I don't know really. I think they said it was too dangerous. There must've been an incident where a kid got hurt.

We only had recess up until the 5th grade and kids are still pretty frail. There are the few early bloomers that can chuck gym balls pretty hard. If I'm not mistaken, an actual dodgeball is pretty hard (right?).