Gwynn vs Boggs

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Two great players, especially when it comes to hitting. Who do you guys believe was better between the two and please explain your answer?

Discuss

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
This is a tough one but when I first read the two choices I automatically picked Tony Gwynn on this one. He never won a World Series but thinking back on watching him play I dont know if there was any better hitter in the era in which he played.

It seemed like Gwynn could put the ball wherever he wanted, whenever he wanted. He was hitting .394 in 1994 before the strike ended the season pre-maturely...that's unheard of these days. Boggs was notorious for being able to do the same thing, though. He would pepper the Green Monster in Boston for years.

You cannot go on statistics alone to compare these two. Look what they both did in their careers and look at how similar they are.

Gwynn: .338 average, 135 HRs, 1138 RBI, 3141 hits
Boggs: .328 average, 118 HRS, 1014 RBI, 3010 hits

Gwynn has a slight advantage in every statistic but what shocked me the most was the amount of career stolen bases Tony Gwynn had. He had 319 stolen bases! Most people remember the chubby looking player he retired as but forget his earlier years.

So I'll go with Gwynn in this one. Granted I saw him play more then Boggs but I just think with the kind of hitter he was that he was overall better.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Both were great players, terrific on-base machines, and definite hall of famers. Their offensive stats are so close, you have to look at league norms and position comparisons to make a distinction. Even then, both had higher on-base % and lower power numbers than other players at their respective positions.

If I really had to choose one? Gwynn always impressed me as a classier guy, a good 3B is harder to find than a good RF, so Boggs I guess, but it's very, very close.

An interesting note on Boggs though: Bill James cites a study (I believe in his 3rd Historical Abstract) wherein a simulation of several thousand seasons was conducted, and in none of those did Boggs hit 20 home runs. His 24 homers in 1987 were so statistically unlikely, they're off the scale, supporting the suspicion that the ball was juiced that season. Gwynn had a very typical season in 1987.

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
Both were great players, terrific on-base machines, and definite hall of famers. Their offensive stats are so close, you have to look at league norms and position comparisons to make a distinction. Even then, both had higher on-base % and lower power numbers than other players at their respective positions.

If I really had to choose one? Gwynn always impressed me as a classier guy, a good 3B is harder to find than a good RF, so Boggs I guess, but it's very, very close.

An interesting note on Boggs though: Bill James cites a study (I believe in his 3rd Historical Abstract) wherein a simulation of several thousand seasons was conducted, and in none of those did Boggs hit 20 home runs. His 24 homers in 1987 were so statistically unlikely, they're off the scale, supporting the suspicion that the ball was juiced that season. Gwynn had a very typical season in 1987.
Hmmm that's a very interesting find about the 1987 season. Which makes it even more remarkable that Boggs' 3,000th hit was a home run!