Guy Gets 10 Years for Forced Miscarriage

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Mirage, May 4, 2009.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

This is interesting. An Alaskan airman has been sentenced to close to 10 years in jail after forcing his wife to have a miscarriage by sneaking ulcer medication into her food.

FOXNews.com - Airman Sentenced to 10 Years for Forced Miscarriage - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

The question is, did he get 10 years in jail for sneaking ulcer medication into her food or did he get it for killing her unborn child?

It's an interesting sentence because it's right at the core of the abortion argument.

2. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

Says right in the article he didn't get the sentence for killing the child.

3. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Yes I know, but it also says:

4. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

To which he was found not guilty. He has, however, been found guily of lacing her food with meds.
    ------
    Reading another article clears it up a bit more for me.

So, by the sounds of it, they couldn't charge him with actually killing the child, so they did the next best thing - charge him with attempting to kill the child.

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  5. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag

If you read some of the other pieces:
    Elmendorf airman charged with forcing wife's miscarriage: Military | adn.com
    Alaska airman convicted of forced miscarriage: AP Alaska | adn.com

it sounds like they could not prove that the drug caused the miscarriage, so they did the next best thing which is to throw the book at him on other charges.
    10 years for assault when the victim(wife) didn't even know she had been assaulted till a few months later. It seems he was being punished for killing the baby also.

6. n3wt

n3wt Registered Member

IMO he should get life as he took one it is sick.

7. ExpectantlyIronic

ExpectantlyIronic e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑

It would be wrong to perform an effective abortion on a women who didn't consent to it, and without having the proper medical training. I'm pretty sure that's illegal, as well, though don't take my word for it. Laws can often be wonky, and the legal system itself is like a giant ever-evolving joke.

Last edited: May 9, 2009
  8. SuiGeneris

SuiGeneris blue 3

I agree with you MiT. I mean assault for giving the girl a medication for stomach ulcer's seems like a "stretch" of what assault is. However, then they take into account that an unborn child dies, and can't prove that the ulcer medication was the cause then, bam, they've got a reason to throw him in jail.

It's just a way to nail him for something they can't do otherwise.