Gunman kills 12 people in Cumbria rampage

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Bliss, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Bliss

Bliss Sally Twit

This is the worst shooting in the UK since 1996. I'm truly shocked. I've been watching it on the news for the past hour. What goes through your mind when you do something like this?

BBC News - Cumbria shooting rampage death toll reaches 12

2. Kibi

Kibi Babeasaurus Sex

My best friend lives in cumbria and though it was away from where she lived I was still terrified just in case.

She got in touch with me an hour ago to tell me she was ok.

My first thought is just "why?" and when I found out he shot himself I went on a rant about how selfish these awful people are.

The poor guy who just came across two bodies on the beach.

:(

Bananas likes this.
  3. Pugz

Pugz Ms. Malone V.I.P. Lifetime

I saw it on yahoo earlier, what's weirder is the fact that he's such a nice guy before the incident; what could have made him snap like that?

4. Bliss

Bliss Sally Twit

I hate the picture they showed of him with a big grin. I know they are showing it because he was once happy man but it's just horrible thinking about the people that have lost their lives and seeing him smiling.

5. Unity

Unity I drink & I know things. Staff Member

So sad to hear about this happening in the UK, I always admire the small amount of gun violence there.

These shooting rampages in recent years are just insane, I don't want to hear about any more...

Why are they so prevalent now, and what can we do about it?

Usually I think of someone with serious mental illness that isn't getting proper treatment when I hear about this, but it isn't always the case. Of course my thoughts/prayers are with everyone involved.

6. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

This is a horrible story, I kept catching glimpses of it on the radio and the numbers just kept getting higher.

My thoughts go out to the families of the victims. They will have great difficulty to reconcile their grief.

I dont think they are more prevalent, I do think they are better publicised. Memories fade and life spans pass but I think there has always been the occasional nutter who commits such awful acts.

As for your second question; When it is as random and apparently unmotivated as the story in the OP, there is not a lot that can be done.

7. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

Wait... I thought gun were banned in the UK? I'm confused. I thought new laws would have prevented this? Hmmm... I must have been way off base I guess :rolleyes:

Edit: If you complain about this post, you are just sticking your head in the sand and avoiding reality.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
    CaptainObvious likes this.
  8. Unity

It's fine to share your opinion, Pro, but does a tragic news story thread have to turn into a Pro Gun debate?

9. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

Yes it is sad when any mass shooting happens. My condolences go out to the victims. But instead of sticking our heads in the sand about why they happen, we need to tackle the root cause so they don't happen again, and banning guns does nothing.

10. Unity

How has a lack of ban helped prevent any situations in the U.S., then? Notice she said this was the worst shooting in the UK since 1996. How often, in recent years, have we had events of this scale in our country?