Gun Control, Your Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Mirage, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

So what are your thoughts on gun control? I know in England guns aren't allowed at all. Here in the US I like having the right to own a gun.

I think the laws for getting guns could be tweaked a bit, but, as it stands now there are so many guns out there it would be impossible to "round them up", per say, should a ban of any sort be set in place.

2. Nightsurfer

Nightsurfer ~Lucky 13 strikes again~

Guns don't kill people, the idiots holding them do.

I would say we need to tighten up the gun laws a bit. I say you have the right to bare arms and protect what is yours.

But I think each new Hand gun owner needs to go to a mandatory safety and usage class witch they must pass with a 90% or higher. Plus the Criminal background check and the 7 day law for handguns.

Yes machine guns should be kept out of the hands of the general public, even certain High powered Handguns too.
    There needs to be stiffer laws on the ownership of those types of guns.

Then there are Gun Shows..Those anybody with cash can purchase a gun, and in some states they can buy it without and BG check. Just cash and carry.
    Now How do you regulate that? If you impose a waiting period on the guns how will people buy them cause the G.S will be gone and in another state by the next week. So what do you do there?

And of course there is the Black market gun sellers and street dealers..Enough said

So there is a wide range to this topic.

And then you get into the Ammo subject ...
    Does the public realy need armor piercing bullets or Hydroshock or even Shredder shells for a shotgun?
    I don't think so..The adv rage criminal isn't wearing body armor (for now).
    So there is no need for that ammo to be sold.

This one is going to be an endless debate...:lol:

And on the comical side: :D Have better aim :lol: Gun control=Better aim :lol:

Last edited: Jan 30, 2008
  3. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

If somebody is going to have a gun in public just to kill people they are going to have it regardless of the law (since obviously they don't care about the law) I think that legalizing guns would be good, but of course I can also see where having guns available to the general public could cause problems, such as kids getting a hold of them, or using the gun as a source of power rather than for protection.

4. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

I agree with Nightsurfer. We need to have more strict gun laws and limit the types of guns that the average person can get.

5. soot

soot Registered Member

I disagree.

We need to allow law abiding citizens to own any firearms they want legally.

And we need to execute anyone and everyone who uses a firearm in the commission of a felony.

There's no reason on Earth I shouldn't be allowed to own an assault rifle. I've been trained to use one, I have no criminal record, and I would never even consider using a firearm for anything other than the defense of my home and family (and if I ever did then I should be punished for it).

Treating me like a criminal threat isn't good law.

Prosecuting criminals for commiting crimes is good law.

Why should I have to rely on defending myself with a shotgun when criminals are running around with Uzis and AKs - and when they use them to kill or hurt people they have their death sentences stayed, commuted, or spend a lifetime on death row wasting tax payer money on appeals.

Mirage likes this.
  6. Eilt_Druin

Eilt_Druin Registered Member

If someone is going to intentionally get a gun for doing something illegal, chances are they aren't going to get the gun through a legal, controlled vendor. There's no way to completely stop the flow of guns to people that will misuse them.

Safety classes or better training is a good idea, especially to prevent accidents that can happen from children getting their parent's gun or such.

7. Grizz

Grizz Registered Member

I firmly believe that people should be able to own any kind of gun they want, be it a single shot .22 or fully automatic, large caliber machine gun. HOWEVER, ammunition for those weapons would be tightly controlled and limited, available only to those who are authorized to buy it. And, obviously, certain kinds of ammunition would be illegal for civilians to own. That should satisfy the gun nuts because there's nothing in the 2nd Amendment that would allow them unlimited access to ammunition. Further, in the event of an invasion (by whichever conspiracy-of-the-day is going to invade), ammunition could be distributed to repel the invaders.

I haven't decided whether this is a tongue in cheek or serious response.

8. Ryourin

Ryourin Registered Member

Have you ever compared the US' gun control to other countries with stricter laws concerning gun possession?

Considering my experiences, I think that's completely wrong. If I just compare the shooting sprees in the US with those in other countries, I can imagine what difference it'd make if it wasn't that easy to get a gun.

I can only judge by the news I've heard, but to me it seems like - if I may use that example - a lot more people die in the US when some weird kid decides to go postal in a school than in countries where it's not that easy to get a gun.

The circumstances do make a difference! Of course a general ban on guns in public wouldn't affect organized crime (and all that), but yeah, I think it'd be useful.

9. CMK_Eagle

CMK_Eagle Registered Member

According to that logic alcohol should also be banned in the US. In 2004, the last year for which both statistics are available, 29,569 people were killed in the US by guns. 33,955 people were killed by alcohol, and I imagine there'd be be a bit of a difference if it weren't that easy to get booze.

Also, picking out shooting sprees is rather meaningless, and it's far from clear that they can be attributable to the prevalence of guns. Even Michael Moore had to admit that such crimes are far less common in Canada, which has a higher gun ownership rate than the US. Nor does it make sense to base public policy on incidents which receive publicity far disproportionate to their actual impact. Such shootings are guaranteed to make the national news, and be discussed for weeks, but are statistically irrelevant compared to the tens of thousands of shootings that go unreported.

10. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

One problem with being able to have any kind of gun that you want is how easy it is to steal a huge gun from somebody and put everybody else in danger, you would attract serious attention with a fully automatic machine gun strapped to your back.

I think that it should be limited to semi-automatic hand .guns nothing more, you don't want your gun to attract attention. that would be very bad