• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Gun Background checks misses may felons

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Gun checks miss millions of fugitives

On paper I support these checks, here is the problem:

Millions of fugitives can pass undetected through federal background checks and buy guns illegally because police departments across the country routinely fail to put their names into a national database that tracks people on the run from the law.
Yet despite years of attempts to shore up the government's National Instant Background Check System, enormous gaps remain, particularly when it comes to identifying fugitives. In five states alone, law enforcement agencies failed to provide information to the FBI about at least 2.5 million outstanding arrest warrants, police and court records show. Among them are tens of thousands of people wanted for violent offenses and other felonies.

"I remember when I bought my first gun thinking that I could have had a felony warrant for murder and they wouldn't have known," said Kevin Collins, who supervises Michigan's fugitive database for the state police.
I can't say I'm surprised. Some of it is laziness, some of it apathy, some of it is ego "my department is better equipped for this than the FBI guys" and other such nonsense. Congress can pass all the laws they want, until these law enforcement agencies start implementing better procedures none of these laws will make a difference.

Thoughts?

dDave

V.I.P.
Do they not swear an oath to enforce the law and the whole law?

If you're in law enforcement like this then you really shouldn't let your ego get in the way of doing your job properly. If fugitives can (or have) passed through this system then that's defined as a clear failure in my book.

This may sound bad but we may need to have some way to enforce that law enforcement is enforcing the law.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Millions, I can understand missing a few but millions. Why even have gun laws at all if because of your ego your letting so many slip through. This is ridiculous yet we wonder how some people get guns.

I'm wondering why these states don't do something about it, their as bad as the feds.

We sure arrest a lot of people.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
It may be that I am getting confused but am I right in thinking that this only applies to people who are on the run and it is not noted? I may be wrong here but shouldn't anyone who has been arrested or spent time in a jail system be on a database when they first go into the system? Shouldn't this be checked and if it comes up positive shouldn't a call be made straight away to the appropriate forces to check if they are the best people who should own a gun?

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
No, they don't have to be on the run. The problem is Michigan could release a felon, who now cannot own a gun. He goes to Ohio and purchases a gun because the Michigan authorities may have it on their database that he is a felon and can't own a gun, but they didn't put it on the FBI database, thus the gun dealer in Ohio had no idea he was a convicted felon.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I've always said this about gun control issues, that as long as the regulations they put into play are actually enforced and every agency does their part, we shouldn't need additional restrictions. Blame for this, quite obviously, lands square on the police forces who are not completing their work.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I agree with you 100%. Some keep saying we need more laws, I disagree. We need to enforce the laws already in place and make sure law enforcement agencies are complying with the laws we already have.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
No, they don't have to be on the run. The problem is Michigan could release a felon, who now cannot own a gun. He goes to Ohio and purchases a gun because the Michigan authorities may have it on their database that he is a felon and can't own a gun, but they didn't put it on the FBI database, thus the gun dealer in Ohio had no idea he was a convicted felon.
This is not directed at you CO but this just seems insane to me, that this this is not properly kept on a record and that someone could buy a weapon without the correct background checks is just madness. How hard is it you create some kind of record and keep it up to date? Again, madness.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
This is not directed at you CO but this just seems insane to me, that this this is not properly kept on a record and that someone could buy a weapon without the correct background checks is just madness. How hard is it you create some kind of record and keep it up to date? Again, madness.
I couldn't agree with you more. How hard is it to enter information into a database? It's ridiculous that this isn't being done.

ReasontoBelieve

Registered Member
Police stations can be like a business. Some are better and some are worse. Some are more responsible and some less responsible. . . this therefore may or may not be the states responsibility as to why or why not some of these police stations are choosing to register these fugitives or already convicted criminals.

As a business police stations can be more or less equipped and more or les enough officers on duty and behind the desk. . If the ratio of criminals is outweighing what these departments can keep up with some of them won't want to then take the extra time to make a federal or FBI criminal report or watch dog procedures.

It kind of reminds me of one of those old movies where the deputy falls asleep at the sheriffs office while the criminal can get to the keys and find his way out while the deputy continues to snooze off. So to let the criminal go without reporting them is almost as saying I did not see anything. .

One thing about this system is they want to quickly get rid of people of lesser crimes out of these prisons so to have enough room for the more serious felonies. But some of these cases may be weigh in as a single incidence not worth reporting. They will rather keep someone who has been in a number of gang fights feeling that person is not safe in city. The one guy with a weapon possession may be over looked like ok we caught you now don't do that anymore attitude and not taking the precaution that this maybe the very person not afraid to try this again else where. . One therefore however in involving a weapon and especially a gun who committed a crimes or has weapons on the premises and could be a future thread better to be on the safe side and put them in the system. .

Whether this person wants to buy guns or not is not really what life is about anyways. This person out ought to be responsible, out working, or taking care of things than be concerned of fire arms or other dangerous things he or she can be using.

It's like a parent who would have a child who would set a fire a neighbors house for fun. The parents would tell the child you better not do that. Saturday comes and he always can spend the night at his friends house. You think this kid will learn serious consequences? Not so until the parents not restrict him but also make him volunteer to do work at his school cleaning up or community work to show him this is very serious. You can't be playing with fire. Don't forget what you have done. Firearms should never be taken lightly. One who owns one can be able to get another one confiscated.

I agree with Hilander. A few people getting away would not be so much trouble. But the high numbers are showing that these police depts. Are not doing enough to keep our cities safe. If they can't then it is left to us to deal with these dangerous criminals. Why then have the state to provide these services? The more corrupt a system the more corrupt society becomes.