Guests for Dinner

Boredie

In need of Entertainment
I invited a couple over for brunch today and it got me thinking just how much do the hosts spend thinking up menus (even for a small amount of guests), cooking, setting the table etc.. etc.. to impress(?) their guests?

I ended up doing a lot of variety but in smallish portions, because after all if we'd have too much left over the two of us wouldn't be able to finish the left overs and they would go to rest.

Before we even actually invited them we thought up all kinds of possibilities for a menu and then once decided went to work and did our best in cooking and deciding on what plates and bowls to serve the foods.

To how much trouble do you/your parents go when they invite guests for an afternoon dinner or any type really? (Excluding holidays, cos that's obvious)

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I invited a couple over for brunch today and it got me thinking just how much do the hosts spend thinking up menus (even for a small amount of guests), cooking, setting the table etc.. etc.. to impress(?) their guests?

I ended up doing a lot of variety but in smallish portions, because after all if we'd have too much left over the two of us wouldn't be able to finish the left overs and they would go to rest.

Before we even actually invited them we thought up all kinds of possibilities for a menu and then once decided went to work and did our best in cooking and deciding on what plates and bowls to serve the foods.

To how much trouble do you/your parents go when they invite guests for an afternoon dinner or any type really? (Excluding holidays, cos that's obvious)
It depends on the number of people and our relationship with them. I usually spend more time planning it for people I'm not close with, like if my husband is inviting his colleagues or boss over. It's because I have no clue what they like and have a harder time imagining how the whole meal would go.

With family members or close friends, I know more or less what they like and it's easier to plan (we don't need as much back up plans).

I think for a decent meal, minimum of two weeks. Decent meal means we go through the regular process of our dining (we dine for a long period here): apéritifs (alcohol and/or snacks), starters, main course (another batch of drinks here), cheese course, dessert course (change of drinks again), coffee time.

With my very close mates, we just go to the main meal and skip all the formalities. :lol:

Then there's also the task of making the place presentable to receive guests. LOL

PS. When I think of making big portions of something, I make sure it's also something I can freeze (or conserve a long time in the fridge). Otherwise I plan for individual portions.

I know I'm not in the norm here (it's ok, I'm use to it) but if I invite someone over, chances are we'll be eating pizza. No way am I cooking for guests.:shake:

Blueyes

Registered Member
I don't have many people over for dinner but when I do I will fuss over everything and always end up making way too much.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Another tip is set the table the night before and do the other stuff you can (maybe like prepare the dessert) so you'll have more time for cooking on D-day.

Boredie

In need of Entertainment
Another tip is set the table the night before and do the other stuff you can (maybe like prepare the dessert) so you'll have more time for cooking on D-day.
In my particlar situation I mentioned in the OP we can't cook on the Sabbath so we had everything prepared in advanced. :D

I never realized that a formal dinner is such a big thing (so many courses, etc.) It makes sense to start preparing 2 weeks in advance!

Here there is no set formal dinner and everyone has their own idea of how the courses should go. We decided to do the following:
A salads course followed by fish, then the main meal which was a mix and match of chicken breasts and cold cuts with broccoli bake, pasta dish and rice with another type of salad. And then there was desert: chocolate cake with chocolate mousse.
We would've asked them if they wanted a hot drink afterwards but their toddler was so exhausted that we all knew there wouldn't be time to sit and chat after the dinner. So it was really a sit down - eat - leave type of thing.