Guaranteed income

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
What if robots take our jobs? Switzerland considers giving people a guaranteed income.

I've thought about what are people going to do when automation and robots start taking too many jobs. Seems lately a lot of restaurants are turning to automation and even pharmacists are being replaced. The day may come when something like this might be necessary unless something comes along to replace these jobs.

I was wondering what you think about a guaranteed income?

Your Pharmacist Will Soon Be a Robot - Breitbart

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
A MinCome. I've read proposals about doing it in the States. Maybe if you gave everyone $1000/month and nothing else it would work. No welfare, no foodstamps, no housing, no ObamaCare, no disability. Yes to Social Security because that was paid into. Otherwise every man, woman and child gets $1000.

Done right, it would be cheaper and maybe work better than the way we're doing things now.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I've been hearing about guaranteed basic income but I don't know much about how they plan to do it. I suppose it will be taxable based on your family situation. Will it be limited to citizens? Or permanent residents? It does seem simpler than the different social benefits including retirement pensions.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
If in the future most jobs are automated or robots are doing them something will have to be done or might not be enough people to buy whatever these robots are making. Probably would have to tax these robots to give people an income. If half the country is unemployed with no money crime would go way up so a basic income might be the cheaper way to go.

Automated farming: good news for food security, bad news for job security?

Fast-Food CEO Unveils Plans for Fully Automated Restaurant in Response to Calls for Minimum Wage Hike - Breitbart

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
Why universal basic income is gaining support, critics

I see someone "important" talking about this all of the time. I still have mixed feelings on it. Not sure if I buy into Musk's idea that in the near future a large % of jobs will be eliminated through AI. Its possible, sure. But we've always adapted to change quickly. Maybe this time its different and the jobs will be eliminated very rapidly and there won't be replacement jobs. I don't know.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Why universal basic income is gaining support, critics

I see someone "important" talking about this all of the time. I still have mixed feelings on it. Not sure if I buy into Musk's idea that in the near future a large % of jobs will be eliminated through AI. Its possible, sure. But we've always adapted to change quickly. Maybe this time its different and the jobs will be eliminated very rapidly and there won't be replacement jobs. I don't know.
I'm afraid it won't be like the past when new jobs were developed. I'm afraid the new jobs will also go to robots but like you I really don't know. Even if they cost as much per hour as hiring a person there is no liability and they never get tired or want time off.

Thanks for the link. Sounds like a universal income might be better than welfare since if you work you still don't lose it.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
What some very bright people are saying is the 40 hour (in my case 60hr+) workweek is going to die soon. AI will make us collectively so productive we will be working 10hrs or less a week. I get that. Could an AI system do 90% of my work if I was there to set it up and get it going every so often? Absolutely. It would be more 2X as accurate and 5X as productive.

So that means the seat at my job will be much more productive and accurate. Instead of looking at my job as how much I make per hour, if I look at the production rate I should either be paid 10X as much or work 10X less. So how about in the spirit of compromise I get paid the same and work 5X less with the extra production going to support a mincome?

I see that as a real conversation I will be having in the next 10 years, possibly. There's nothing unique about my job. That scenario is going to play out a million different ways. Or maybe I'm sitting at work in 10 years doing it just like we've done it for 70 years? I hope not. I would love a 10 hour work week.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
Now Richard Branson is saying we need this. I see the future as clear as day on this. These billionaires are going to back a populous candidate in 2020, probably Tom Hanks and this is going to be their issue.