• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Guantanamo Bay

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I was wondering what are your thoughts on Guantanamo Bay? Do you support it being opened? Or you rather have them close the whole thing down?

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
That's the prison for terrorists right? As far as I've heard in the mainstream media, Gitmo has better prisoner care than most US or Canadian prisons even. For a terrorist prison, they sure do treat them well if that hearsay is right.

shelgarr

Registered Member
The prisoners there are very dangerous. If we shut it down, there HAS to be an alternative. Not many countries are willing to house these guys. None of them could do it as well as we do.

Wade8813

Registered Member
As far as I know, the only reason they were considering shutting down Gitmo was PR reasons. Which is understandable, but is really expensive and inefficient. If we can leave it running without any PR problems, I'm all for it.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Just some numbers that I found pretty fascinating.

Detainees transferred during Bush era 537
Obama 67

Very large difference between the two.

john2054

Registered Member
A good number of the prisoners are innocent and were snatched from their everyday lives to the hell of the abyss which is high security prisoner life. Mozam Begg was one such innocent who suffered in this way, and I went to a conference he held at a local community centre a couple of years ago to listen to his suffering.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
Just some numbers that I found pretty fascinating.

Detainees transferred during Bush era 537
Obama 67

Very large difference between the two.
A couple of things to keep in mind:

1) The Bush era was for 8 years, Obama hasn't finished out his first term yet.

2) Gitmo was used as a detention prison after 9/11 and used during the Afgahnistan and Iraq wars. By the time Obama took office those wars had already been in existence for quite some time.