Grrrage Sale

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Julie, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Julie

Julie Registered Member

Okay, I'm trying to have a garage sale. I really hate these things. But, I also don't want to move all this stuff in 2 weeks...So I've spent my free hours over the last week pulling stuff out of every room to go out there. Trying to price stuff as I go along too. Then of course, there's cramming the rest of it in at the last minute!

So I was up all night getting the last of it ready...and now here I am. I've got hubby's mother here to help...I guess I shouldn't complain, cuz it's better than trying to run this thing with the baby by myself. But that woman rubs every last nerve I have left the wrong way. She doesn't even have to try, it just happens!

Then there's all the LOVELY people I've had the great pleasure of dealing with so far. All my signs went out saying 8-2 for the hours...but I'm out there at 6:30 putting everything out & someone stops. No big deal...look around, but everything isnt out yet. So she's picking thru boxes (of course stuff I havent priced yet)...and EVERY price I tell her she tries going lower. GRRR! It's not like it's tomorrow afternoon & I'm desperate to get rid of the remains...it's the first day & I haven't even opened it all up yet!

Well since this is how it's starting out...I figure I'm just gonna have one fun-filled day of garage sale prison. I'm tired, I'm grumpy, I don't wanna deal with these people, I don't want his mother here, I just want it all over & everything gone!

2. iggyshotthebear

iggyshotthebear Registered Member

Ohhh BARISTAAA! This woman needs a triple espresso straight NOW!!!

Good morning HONEEYYY! :D Sorry about the early birds at your garage sale. Dont let em haggle ya too much. :) Hope all goes well ... make sure you give us updates on all the crazy ol ladies comin around :D

3. Julie

Julie Registered Member

Okay...I'm on cappuccino #5? I think? I don't know anymore...LOL.

Latest grrrage sale update:

One of the people looked at a lamp & actually asked me if it works...Huh? Who puts out stuff to sell that doesn't work? Anyone? Besides that, people could already see my garbage can overflowing with stuff that wasn't worth trying to sell.

I've sold a few things here & there...but hasn't even put a dent in what's out there. I wish I could have someone come by that does flea markets all the time & offer me one price for everything...cuz I'd take it! And happily help load the crap up!
    Actually, if I had $5 for every person who stopped & looked and who drove by real slow...I wouldn't have to sell anything. I could afford to just donate everything...hahahha!

4. Nanner

Nanner Registered Member

Oh yeah! I can totally relate! My sister and I use to have one every other year (she lived on a very busy road that vacationers going north for the weekends would take) Never failed to have the early ones come (even before the garage door was opened and signs out) and of course the wanting something priced at a buck for 50 cents....or better yet a quarter item for a dime on the first day....heck the first hour! I hated those things!

BUT.....I now have a ton of stuff saved up and I wish we'd have another.

We use to start on Thurs and have them thru Sunday! Usually 8-6pm.

GOOD LUCK.....and only a few more hours to go. Deep breaths!!!!

5. iggyshotthebear

I need to walk over to the Landlady's house and ask her when she wants to have a lawn sale... Is it evil of me to tell her that something is worth say 100 bucks just so she'll price it too high and end up giving it to ME rather than selling it? hehehehehehe

6. Nanner

Nanner Registered Member

Nope not evil.....all's fair in love and freebies :lol:

7. Julie

Julie Registered Member

Thur-Sun 8-6?? OMG...No, no, no! No Way! I'd end up in the funny farm! Mine is Today & Tomorrow, 8-2...that's it! It's all I got the patience for...LOL!

And yes, I've had a few try to do the half price thing...grrr!

8. iggyshotthebear

Make a deal with all of em! If they buy five items pick a sixth at half price :D Follow the rules of Payless though lol The highest dollar item cant be the half price item :p

9. Julie

Julie Registered Member

Nah...basically, I just cut a deal depending on what they get. This one just came a lil while ago...she just kept grabbing stuff off every table!
    "I'll take this...and I'll take this...and I'll take this!"
    Filled up about 5 Wally World bags!!
    Now I just need 5 more like her to show up!

10. cno2u

cno2u Registered Member

LOL I feel ya hun. I had my first and last garage sale when my daughter was a newborn so you figure around 3 years ago! Someone sabotaged my signs and had them all wrong so my husband had to go fix them all. Then I had a lady say that I needed to pull some of my stuff out of the garage ... it was like 90+ degrees that day! I had some outfits brand new with tags from the Disney store that my son had outgrew and I was asking only $5.00 for one of them and a lady offered me a quarter when she could see I spent over $50.00 for that one outfit! So in short if you can do it two days in a row more power to you! I couldn't stand it one day. I thought I was going to go insane.
    Good luck and I hope you sell it all!
    Christena