Grow your own food

Discussion in 'Food & Beverage' started by SebNoker, Aug 27, 2008.

1. SebNoker

SebNoker Registered Member

How many of you grow or process food by yourself?
    Im just starting, got two big balconies, and in south of spain, so will start growing and drying a lot of my own food now.

2. Bliss

Bliss Sally Twit

When I lived with my parents we had a strawberry plant. We'd have strawberries every Summer. It still grows to this day!

Does that count?

3. Syndicate

Syndicate Chirp Chirp

I don't any longer but when I was little we used to grow tomatos in the garden. They were almost a pet to me. A pet that I could eat. I never liked eating tomato in its true form, from the shops, but I'd happy munch down one that I'd raised myself. Can't beat fresh fruit. I think we grew peas too actually.

I'd like to grow some again in future but our garden at the moment isn't fit to grow grass.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  4. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

My dad grows tomatoes and cucumbers.

5. Blueyes

Blueyes Registered Member

If I could keep things alive I would. I have managed to keep a little herbs growing in a hanging plantar on my back porch so next year I think I might give tomatoes in those upside down planters a whirl In ground growing I don't think would be good for me.

6. kiwi

kiwi The Original Kiwi

Ive grown up always having a big garden. I don't currently but plan to have some plants next year. I've made/bottled jelly, salsa, tomatoes, apricots, pears, peaches. I was even good and made a lot of my own baby food for my first kid and bottled it.

Oh and we always freeze our own corn every year too.

7. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

I have a bit of a green thumb myself. I've grown a good size garden before. Tomatoes, peppers, hot peppers, corn, zucchini, squash, onions, carrots, and turnips. Nothing beats a natural meal of deer steak and fresh corn. :)

8. English-Emo-Boy

English-Emo-Boy Supreme System Lord V.I.P. Lifetime

The only thing we've been growing recently are peppers in the porch.

Only take a few weeks and then you've got some lovely, big, green peppers.

Tastey too!

9. Univeros

Univeros New Member

I have a big balcony myslef, gonna start now. Was unsure as its very hot here in summer, so waiting till it cools down before i start planting some things. Want to grow things fast, so Peppers i hear, anything else thats quick and easy, potatoes as well no?
    Is it hard to dry your own food?