Grounding: Is anything off limits?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by Mirage, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Do you think there are certain things that parents should not ground their kids from? I'm not talking about NECESSITIES such as eating, bathing, etc. I'm talking about reasonable things.

Cell phones, internet, computer, cars, friends, movies, tv, music, etc.

Do you think parents cross the line when grounding their kids from any of those things? I think anything like that is fair game.

It annoys me when kids in movies (and I'm sure in real life) complain that they are grounded from something in particular claiming it's "not fair".

I say grow up and don't do whatever it was that got you grounded in the first place.

2. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

I never ground my girls from their cell phones because I need to know where they are and be able to contact them.
    Everything else is fair game though. I usually go for the computer since it's their favorite "toy".

3. Mirage

Well I see your point about cell phones but you could say something like "No calling or texting friends" and I wouldn't have a problem with that. Having a cell phone so parents can contact them and see where they are is totally different.

Most kids would probably opt in for that grounding if it were possible lol.

4. Blueyes

Blueyes Registered Member

Well cell phones weren't an issue when I was growing up. We were not allowed anything electronic and the only thing electronic in our rooms was a radio when we were banned to our rooms so....

5. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I personally didn't like it when my parents use to ground me, because they took my two favorite things away from me. Those two things were television and the computer/internet.

But I agree that everything is fair game, if you take there favorite thing away from them, when they do something wrong, then the chances of them doing again will go down more, because they don't want to lose it again after they get it back.

6. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

I was grounded several times when I was a kid. What I learn from that is to avoid a certain "entitlement mentality". These things that I have are privileges and if I want to keep having them, then I should behave or follow the house rules (it's that simple). I'd like my kids to learn the same thing.

7. EXQEX9

EXQEX9 Yep.

I got hit. I didnt lose privileges, I acquired big tender red spots on my ass and arm...and face.

:)

In answer to the OP, I think it would be ultimate shenanegains for a parent to say to her kid, who for example likes to play trumpet, "dont play trumpet". I mean, that would be just down right un supportive.

8. Mirage

How so though? It's only temporary. How about if a kid is supposed to clean his/her room and instead plays trumpet for a few hours. I think being told no trumpet for a week would be a punishment that fits the crime in that scenario.

I wouldn't view that as "unsupportive", just teaching the kid to set their priorities in the right order.

9. EXQEX9

EXQEX9 Yep.

It sounds to me like the kid in this scenario would have his priorities right and the parent would be a little off.

Granted, there are times where being supportive isnt exactly something to take into account. If you catch your kid...dropping acid, and you want to punish him, i say feel free to take away everything he finds remotely entertaining.

If its "you didnt clean your room, instead you practiced. No more practice" then I think the parent is in the wrong.

10. Mirage

What if it the parents specifically said "Don't play trumpet until your room is clean?" 2 hours later some people come over for dinner or whatever and the room is still a mess because the kid played trumpet for 2 hours instead of cleaning. That's kind of what I envisioned when making my reply above.