• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Grieving over celebrity deaths'

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
One thing that really "angers" me is when someone says " why are you saddened by a celebrity/musician/athletes, ect. death?! You did not know the person"

Yes. most times we do not know the person personally, but you have no idea how much joy this celebrity/musician/athletes, ect. brought to a certain person. Be it from movies, music, watching their whole sporting career. After a while, it does feel like you know them, and you connect them. Let them grieve. Let them be emotional.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
It comes from feeling a connection with their personal throughout our lives. Robin Williams made me laugh, cry, and consider myself in very existential ways. Those emotions come boiling up again when the celebrity, in my case Robin Williams, passes away. Chester Bennington is another person who brought up strong emotions with their passing. His music resonates with me and has throughout my life. When he killed himself it brought out the pain that he showed in his music.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
@Doc, Chester’s death hit me hard and is still difficult to think about. I idolized him in high school and even bleached my hair bright blonde after taking inspiration from the One Step Closer music video.

This video still gets me thinking very deep, all things considered.

Robin Williams hit be hard too. The “you’re free” genie memes were fitting but hard to process.

This scene was made forever sad for me after his death:

• Sad
Reactions: Doc

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Nothing wrong with grieving over someones death that you didn't know personally. Through their movies, music etc you feel a connection to them. So its natural to feel grief.

Konshentz

Konshentz
I have definitely been shocked and saddened by some of the celebrity deaths over the last decade or so. James Gandolfini, George Jones and Paul Walker immediately come to mind. The one that hit me the hardest was Robin Williams, though. And I imagine that has a lot to do with how he died. It happening less than a year after my own brother had taken his life surely compounded those feelings. You can definitely build a connection over the years with these people, even while never meeting them personally.

dDave

V.I.P.
Celebrities are a part of our lives. Beloved actors, musicians, athletes, etc. they’re all part of the things that we enjoy.

I was a huge Robin Williams fan, that was a big one for me. I grew up loving Hook, Mrs Doubtfire, and Aladdin. The suicide made it that much harder.

Kobe Bryant was the other really hard one for me. Basketball is my favorite sport to watch and Kobe was my favorite player. I watched him consistently from a very young age. Still processing this one since it was so recent,

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Let people grieve. Let the fans grieve. Heck we even cry in movies or TV shows when our fictional characters die, it is much more difficult when it's the real thing.

I also don't like it when people start making you feel bad for grieving by saying that hundreds of people in the world die of poverty or insert-world-problems-here and I'm supposed to be selfish that I'm not grieving about them.

Geez, what next? You can't feel sad if your friend dies because thousands are dying daily of coronavirus?

dDave

V.I.P.
Let people grieve. Let the fans grieve. Heck we even cry in movies or TV shows when our fictional characters die, it is much more difficult when it's the real thing.

I also don't like it when people start making you feel bad for grieving by saying that hundreds of people in the world die of poverty or insert-world-problems-here and I'm supposed to be selfish that I'm not grieving about them.

Geez, what next? You can't feel sad if your friend dies because thousands are dying daily of coronavirus?
I think everyone has a different level of connectivity with celebrities, fictional content, athletes, etc.

I think it’s totally fine and good to grieve when someone passes away. I certainly have when certain people died. On the flip side, I totally understand why some people feel very little about it as strange as that may be to my nature.