Griese to replace Grossman at QB for Bears

Discussion in 'NFL' started by Babe_Ruth, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

The NFL Network's Adam Schefter has confirmed that Brian Griese will start at quarterback Sunday for the Chicago Bears.
    Griese will replace Rex Grossman, who threw three interceptions as the Chicago Bears fell to the Dallas Cowboys 34-10 on Sunday night and did not get a vote of confidence from his coach a day later.
    "Will Rex Grossman start Sunday?" coach Lovie Smith asked on Monday, repeating the question. "Well, our evaluation process is going on right now, and if you come out to practice Wednesday, you'll have a better idea of who will be starting at all positions."

Smith gave his usual answer when asked Sunday night about Grossman -- "Rex Grossman is our quarterback" -- but his tone was different on Monday, fueling speculation Brian Griese might start Sunday against Detroit.
    Grossman's supporters would have a hard time arguing against the move, considering he ranks 23rd in the league with 500 yards, has a 45.2 passer rating and is 47-of-89 (52.8 percent) with a league-leading six interceptions and just one touchdown.
    But is Griese the answer?
    A Pro Bowl pick with Denver in 2000, he has passed for 16,564 yards, but has also been released three times -- by the Broncos, Miami and Tampa Bay.
    "I have confidence in our entire football team," Smith said. "Brian is a part of that. After you have a loss like that, we all feel bad. We should."
    And Smith realizes something needs to change -- quickly.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d802abff2&template=with-video&confirm=true

2. SuiGeneris

SuiGeneris blue 3

I don't think it's a bad move. Grossman's only real defense was the record he had as a starter, and that was largely due to Chicago's defense. I'd like to see how Greise does.

3. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I think this is the best move for the Bears right now, it's not like they haven't given him a chance because they did, and he has more interceptions then touchdowns which is not good for a starting quarterback. Like Sui mention to the only really reason they've made the Super Bowl last year was because of that amazing defense, and their running game, it wasn't because of Grossman.

Griese has been a decent quarterback in the past, and I'm sure he can help this offense in a lot of different ways.

4. Matriqulated

Matriqulated Future is Fused 3036A.D.

I wish they did this during the offseason so that they would've beaten Dallas this week. Grossman single handedly gave the Super Bowl win to the Colts, they should have picked up Byron Leftwich or Matt Shaub.

5. Lee

Lee Registered Member

I was expecting this, I think we all were. Really though, it was long overdue. The Bears got to the Super Bowl last week despite Grossman, not because of him. The problem now becomes, what do you do for a long-term solution? Griese isn't that guy, Grossman isn't that guy. Is Orton? Do you draft a guy, or do you make a trade or snag a free agent? The problem here is that the Bears are essentially ready to win now. If you bring in a rookie quarterback, it may take him a year or two, or even three, to come around.

6. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

At least they change QBs AFTER they played the Cowboys. :D That was a great game.

This reminds me of Dallas last year.

7. hendu

hendu Guest

My opinion on this move is why the hell not. They were getting absolutely nowhere with Sexy Rexy at QB, but Griese isn't that huge of an improvement. I mean, what has he done that is much better than Rex? They need to trade for somebody, and fast, or tank this season and hope for Brohm or Woodson in the draft next year.

8. Finally Grossman is done cause like his last name he's gross and sucks. One of the worst QBs in the league its about time the bears did this cause they have'nt been able to win because of him. But i don't think Griease is gonna help out any much.

9. Lone Eagle

Lone Eagle Registered Member

No choice right here, Grossman is losing them games.

10. CJBSRS

CJBSRS Guest

Hmmmmm....I saw it coming but still interesting. Lovie Smith I believe did it because a Chicago fans and media were all over him to do it. but if Greise fails tooo then what do they do. Greise is coming into s tough situatuation. The fans believe with out seeing for sure how well hell be. the line in Chicago isnt the worlds best they have issues with the A gap and stopping a blitz up the gut. Greise's only better than Rex in the fact that he will make a smarter decision but that doesnt mean he will lead them to the SB. Greise is only a temporary fix even if he plays decent cuz of his age, this is something that can damage a franchise for years the D will only be good for so long then they age. Ask the Dolphins. They are going to Greise and that means no faith in Kyle Orten. so now who is the QB of the future? hmmm could spell dark days for the Bears. Remember Greise in and Possibly Briggs, Vasher and someone else out Not saying removing Rex was bad but to not have a young QB in the wings to take over is