Grienke vs Halladay

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Babe_Ruth, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

It seems like most of the members here believe Grienke should be the starter for the American League squad, well as you already know I disagree. I was curious who you thought was better, please tell us multiple reasons why you believe one is better then the other.

2. Millz

Millz Lance Catamaran Staff Member V.I.P.

Are we just talking this season?

If I had to choose a starter for the AL right now I'd pick Greinke.

Greinke: 10-3 record, 1.95 ERA, 5 CG's, 2 Shutouts, 114 Ks.

Halladay: 10-1 record, 2.53 ERA, 3 CG's, 1 shutout, 88 Ks

Also, Zack hasnt gone on the DL this season and Roy did. So if you mean RIGHT NOW I'll take Greinke.

3. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Oh god, here goes another "Roy Halladay is the greatest pitcher in the universe" thread. :D

Greinke has the advantage in the following categories:

Games played (16 vs. Halladay's 14)
    Strikeouts
    Innings pitched
    ERA

I see four very solid reasons to pitch Greinke over Halladay. Even if we remove the IP and games played stats, Greinke's ERA is .58 points less than Halladay and he has pitched two less games than Greinke.

All Halladay has going for him is consistency. This is Greinke's breakout year, a lot of people have been waiting for it, but he's not a proven consistent pitcher just yet. Halladay is still great (and you're still biased BR :lol:) but Greinke is better this season.

4. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Grienke is a great pitcher and I am not denying anything he's done. He's got a better ERA than Halladay and I'll give him that. If Halladay didn't miss his two games due to a groin injury, he would probably have more innings pitched than Grienke(I am not giving out excuses)

Halladay is coming back tonight, he's going to face one of the best lineups in the American League. His next three starts will be against teams in the American League East, the Yankees, Red Sox and The Rays tonight. I just feel another reason why Halladay is better is because he's pitched well all year, he's only had one bad game, he's lost a game 1-0(left when it was 0-0) He lost a game that he left in the seventh inning against the Orioles when he had an 8-3 lead. Right there could been easily two more wins if he got the run support and the bullpen didn't blow that five run lead for him. Halladay's had only one bad start this season, it was against the Rangers which he has lost. Grienke as lost three games, which isn't all that bad, but it's still two more games than Halladay had. Roy also faces tougher competition than Zack in my opinion.

If I had to choose one than I would have to go with Halladay.

Just wondering, how many games have you seen Halladay throw in this year?

Another thing, I might be totally way off here, and this is only my OWN opinion, I just believe that Halladay is underrated by Americans, since he plays for a Canadian team which barely gets coverage in the United States.

5. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

I have to completely agree with Millz, this says it all. RIGHT NOW, I'd start Greinke at the All Star game. Not taking anything away from Halladay, I just think Zack has had a little better first half of the season.

6. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

This is the problem BR, because Halladay is your guy. That's why you're picking him. If I had showed you numbers alone and you had no way of telling who is who, you would have picked Greinke, too. You have to be a bit subjective here BR and realize that at the moment, he's second to Greinke.

Millz likes this.
  7. Millz

Millz Lance Catamaran Staff Member V.I.P.

I do agree with this...

I think the fact Halladay did miss those games is a testiment to the fact Greinke hasnt missed a start...

But if you take that all away Zack's numbers are still better at this point...no matter what.