• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Greinke throws record setting complete game

SuiGeneris

blue 3
RLINGTON -- Zack Greinke probably won't be impressed that he still has a 0.00 ERA after three starts to open the season. He should be.
With the first shutout of his career, Greinke ran his scoreless-innings streak to 34 in the Royals' 2-0 victory over the Rangers on Saturday night at Rangers Ballpark in Arlington. Greinke has opened the season going 20 innings without allowing a run.
Greinke was sharp, pitching out of trouble in the early innings. He allowed seven hits and didn't allow a walk while striking out 10. Greinke needed 111 pitches after using 104 to get through five innings in his last start against Cleveland.
The Royals scored the game's first run in the sixth, taking advantage of a leadoff walk by Coco Crisp. Crisp advanced to third on two groundouts, then scored on Billy Butler's double down the left-field line.
Kansas City got an insurance run when catcher Miguel Olivo delivered a two-out solo shot in the seventh. The ball just cleared the left-field fence for Olivo's homer first of the season.
Greinke was at his best in the second and third innings. He gave up a leadoff triple to Hank Blalock in the second, but came back by getting Marlon Byrd to ground out and then striking out Nelson Cruz and Chris Davis.
The Rangers played for an early run in the third as Jarrod Saltalamacchia led off with a double and was sacrificed to third by Elvis Andrus. It didn't faze Greinke, who struck out Ian Kinsler and induced Michael Young to ground out to second.
Source: Greinke's scoreless innings streak at 34 | royals.com: News

Now I'm not going to lie, he had some shake points. The fact that he got out of a lead-off triple and a lead off double without giving up a run, that's pretty impressive. Not to mention 10 strike outs with a .79 whip. That's an impressive game regardless, but take into account the fact that he threw this agains the Texas Rangers.

34 consecutive scoreless innings....wow! Is it too early to say that Greinke may be onto something serious? What do you think, fluke or is he here to stay?

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Greinke has always had a ton of talent...this obviously wont continue (scoreless streak I mean) but he's good enough to win 17-20 games...even on Kansas CIty.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Like I told you on aim Sui, he had loads of potential when he first came into the Majors, but he got rushed to early and he struggle. It seems that hes now entering his peak. It's pretty impressive way to start the season. Hopefully when the Jays face the Royals he'll go against Halladay.

SuiGeneris

blue 3
Greinke has always had a ton of talent...this obviously wont continue (scoreless streak I mean) but he's good enough to win 17-20 games...even on Kansas CIty.

Well here's my question, why do you say even on Kansas City? I mean I know the past 8 years or so haven't been great at all, but you've got to admit that this new Kansas City team is a team that can take a series from anyone.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Well here's my question, why do you say even on Kansas City? I mean I know the past 8 years or so haven't been great at all, but you've got to admit that this new Kansas City team is a team that can take a series from anyone.
They've got some good young talent and I think in that division they might even stay in it a while but I dont think this is the year quite yet.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
The streak ended yesterday, Vernon Wells hit a ground ball single in the first inning. The streak lasted 43 innings, which is extremely impressive.