• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Greeting family/friends

Bliss

Sally Twit
Are you most like to hug, kiss, shake hands, just say hi, or something else?

I kiss/hug my boyfriend obviously.
When I haven't seen friends for a while I always hug them. If I recently saw them then I'll just say hello.
And I always hug my family when I see them. And sometimes kiss my mum and dad on the cheek.

When my boyfriend sees my dad they always try and do this manly hand shake but they always fail. It's funny to watch.

I know some people aren't touchy feely at all, where as others love human contact.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I have a really old fashioned grandfather who I love, but he likes to kiss everyone (on the cheek) when he greets them. I love my grandfather but I find this very uncomfortable and try to avoid it whenever possible. I just don't like being kissed by old men, even if they are related to me.

In most situations I just greet people using words, although I do like hugging people. Actually I love hugging people, I'm a really hugger. Only most people don't expect that about me. Something about my personality must suggest that I'm not the hugging type because people rarely hug me.

There is one girl at my school though who kisses me on the head if she ever walks into a room while I'm sitting down. I know that sounds weird, but I like it.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
We have the bises so we do kiss 2x/4x on the cheeks when meeting friends and families. I tend to hug the grandparents and little kids, aside from the bise. And yes, if it's a long time I haven't seen a dear friend, it's hug first before the bise.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'm like Ysabel, when it comes to family but it's a kiss on each cheek, only once. Only to female family members, when it comes to males we just shake hands.

When I meet friends I usually shake their hand, but there's one friend where we do the bizzy handshake(he's the guy who gave me the nickname in the first place). The bizzy handshake is where we lock hands togehter and open and close them, it's really awesome and hilarious.

Last edited:

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
The other night we went out to celebrate a birthday with a few other couples. One of the women hugged everyone, including me on our first meeting.

Usually it is on the departure that I give my parents a hug (and kiss for mom) hug for in-laws ( I love those guys) and a handshake for my buddies. The girls that are my good friends usually get a hug when greeting.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
It's funny because I just had a convo about this a couple weeks ago...

With family and friends it's a handshake for the males and a hug from the females but it does depend with some folks as well. There isn't really any kissing at all involved and it's possible I haven't kissed my mom in any fashion in a decade or so haha

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
It really depends on who it is.

Some friends I hug every time I see them, hello and goodbye. qweerblue and I always hug and cheek kiss. Other friends would think it was weird if I hugged them.

I hug my dad every time I see him, and my aunt and one cousin. My sister and I NEVER hug. ever. I don't usually hug my mom, either. I don't know why, it would just seem really really weird if we did.

Rebeccaaa

yellow 4!
It's funny because I just had a convo about this a couple weeks ago...

With family and friends it's a handshake for the males and a hug from the females but it does depend with some folks as well. There isn't really any kissing at all involved and it's possible I haven't kissed my mom in any fashion in a decade or so haha
I wish we'd had this thread back then so I could have proven it's normal! :lol:

My family always hug/kiss on the cheek/handshake depending on which gender is involved. Where I am concerned, it's pretty much always a kiss on the cheek, since I'm female. Though I just realized my dad is the one person I never do that with. I think probably cause both of us aren't bothered we have a mutual understanding not to do it :hah: I always just hug my dad. Or high five!

For friends, 9 times out of 10 it's just verbal greeting. I will hug to say bye on occasion though, and I have a couple friends who always like to hug.

Konshentz

Konshentz
Hugs for my mom, dad, sister, brother and grandmother. A handshake for other family members, and some that I only see a few times a year. A weak "hi" to the ones I can't stand. Haha.

Starfire86

Registered Member
My mom and I never hug (well, we don't even talk now) but I hug my grandma, and all my friends from the shaman school. They're pretty much a big family too. My dad and I hug because we don't see each other often, and sometimes I hug my friends if I haven't seen them in a while, or if they need it.